12

"I passed!" Anya squealed as she went over to Rio. "Can we get that car now, Rio? Please!"
"Oh, come on then." He smiled and ruffled her hair. "I'm proud of you kiddo."
"Thanks, Rio." Anya had applied for her driver's test before they'd spontaneously moved to New Orleans and had to go back in order to actually take the test. Klaus had up and moved to the Abbatoir or as he called it, The Mikaelson Compound. They both got into his car and drove over to the shop. As they were about to enter, Rio's phone rang so he told Anya to go in, and see if the car had been shipped over yet.
"Stefan?" He asked.
"Hey, Rio."
"Hey, what's up. Are you okay?"
"Far from it."
"What's wrong? What happened."
"I remember, Rio. I remember it all, and it hurts."
"Hey, hey hey. Talk to me. You know I'm here."
"Why, Rio? Why?"
"Because, Lottie would kill me if I left you in your time of need. And, more importantly, because you'll always be my baby brother. No matter what."
"I can't stop, Rio. Every time I close my eyes, I just remember drowning over, and over, and over again. For three months, and I'm scared."
"Listen up. I just have one other stop then I'll come over to Mystic Falls."
"You would do that?"
"Of course, and you can tell me what happened because you're not making much sense right now." Rio said.
"Thanks, Tiberius."
"See you soon." Rio hung up the phone. There was a shout from inside the shop and he rushed inside.
"What happened?" He said as he took in the surroundings. The car dealer was on his knees about a metre away from Anya who held him in place with a spell.
"He tried to attack me." Anya said.
"She's a witch!"
"I'm pretty sure Marcel has told you to back off this witch."
"What's it matter? She's a witch! Marcel won't care afterwards. We got all the witches on a leash, she's nothing special." Anya fisted her outstretched hand and the dealer coughed up blood.
"She may be a witch but she's my daughter. And Marcellus is a friend of mine. I'm sure he doesn't take too kindly to his little vampire pets disobeying his command. Especially when it's usually for your own sakes. You pick a fight with us, you're picking a fight with the Mikaelsons."
"Yeah well Klaus can shove his-"
"Careful now. You heard about his crowning- he's your boss now, isn't he?"
"My loyalty is to Marcel first."
"I can respect that. Except you're going against Marcel's orders."
"She's a witch, and I don't know what she has on Marcel, but there is no way he'd let a witch do magic without restrictions."
"Marcel is a friend of mine. She's my daughter. That's all there is to it."
"There's no way you're friends with both Marcel and Klaus."
"Yeah, well I'm good at making friends." Rio said then rushed over and snapped his neck. Anya put her hand down.
"We're not just going to leave him there, are we?"
"Of course not, sweetie. Not this time. We're taking him to Marcel and Klaus."
"Klaus is going to kill him."
"I'll make sure he doesn't, alright?"
"Thanks, Rio."
"Hey, I did nothing. Really."
"You're willing to protect me, no matter what. If you weren't here all the vampires would be against me, Klaus wouldn't know me let alone care and Marcel wouldn't let me do magic."
"Hey, you wouldn't be in New Orleans if it weren't for me, and are you forgetting Klaus knew your mother?"
"Yes, but I'm pretty sure they hated each other until you came along."
"Well, there was a time they didn't hate each other, long before me."
"Mum refused to tell me about her and Klaus, or why they hated each other. She told me they had history, that's all."
"Charlotte would kill me for telling you this, but back in the day your mother and Klaus were an item."
"They were?" Anya sounded shocked. "I would've guessed she was with Finn."
"Finn was her friend, they were close. But she and Klaus were courting. I don't know what happened. I don't know why exactly Klaus hated her, or vice versa but they eventually made up. Anyways, point is, everything that's happening is all you. You're strong enough to protect yourself, you'd be able to stop Marcel and all the vampires single handedly. I don't want you to doubt yourself. You're stronger tha you think, Anya. I'm always here for you to depend on, as a father or friend, but know how strong and badass you are without my help alright."
"I do need you, Rio. I might be really powerful but you protect me. Who knows- Klaus Mikaelson might have come after my power if he didn't know you. I might be a completely different person if I hadn't had you and my mother there from day one. You were there for me when my mother died. You're my dad now, Rio, and I'll always need you."
"Maybe so, I just don't want you to doubt yourself, alright?"
"I won't. Thanks Rio." Anya smiled up at him. "So who was on the phone?"
"Stefan." Rio smiled down at her sadly. The car dealer started to wake up and Rio snappd his neck again. "Let's deal with him first."
"Deal with the dealer?" Anya giggled, and Rio shook his head. Holding on them all, Anya muttered the Projection spell.

"Hello Rio, Anya. Why do you have a dead human, Rio? You don't kill." Klaus called. Marcel inspected the dead body.
"I know him. He's one of my guys. Marcus Jackson." He said thoughtfully.
"That makes more sense. A snapped necked vampire, Anya and Rio. Someone tried to hurt her?" Klaus pieced together, and started to get angry.
"No, they know to stay away from Anya, Rio. There's got to be an explanation." Marcel defended.
"He was doing it for you. Thought Anya had something on you, that allowed her to do magic."
"Oh, Marcus." Marcel shook his head. "Damn it, you idiot. Damn it."
"Relax. Klaus, no killing. I just brought him here so you guys could put a stop to whatever your vampires might be planning." Rio told them. "He tried to hurt Anya, and that's not okay with me. Don't kill him, guys. I just want people to know Anya is absolutely off limits."
"Okay, Rio. I know just what to do?"
"What's your plan, Niklaus?"
"I won't kill him. In fact, I'll take a page out of Marcel's books."
"Ah, you thinking what I'm thinking." Marcel stared at Klaus who nodded in return.
"Niklaus, Marcellus. What are you two thinking?"
"No one's dying in this, alright. Besides, it's an... appropriate punishment." Marcel said.
"Don't worry, Rio. We won't kill him. We'll handle it."
"See, now I'm worried."
"Don't be." Klaus smirked. Rio cringed.
"Promise me no killing. And don't make him kill himself. Or bring him to the brink of death. Or-"
"Just leave it to us." Marcel told him. "He's one of my guys- I won't let Klaus kill him or make him kill himself."
"Alright. How did this turn out to me pleading for the life of the guy that tried to kill Anya?"
"It's fine Rio. I get it, I'm not that important." She joked.
"No, you're only the most important person in my life, right now. I mean, of course that doesn't mean much, obviously." He teased back and she smirked back at him. With a raised brow, Marcel looked between the two, but shrugged and smiled. Rio nodded at the men as Marcus awoke and left the room.