17

Aaron had left soon after, unable to deal with what he just did. Rio was feeling a little guilty for his words to the kid. He'd only reacted and he hadn't actually killed Damon. Chances are he hadn't realised what he did until afterwards. A couple minutes after he left, Wes came down, holding his own gun. Unlike Aaron's it was big. Before the two had time to realise what was going on and react, he raised his gun and shot Rio, then Elena with vervain darts, this time with more vervain than he used to bring them to the basement in the first place.

Rio, once again, woke up earlier than Elena. He was strapped to a gurney, with Elena next to him. He craned his neck to look around the room only to see someone else strapped to another gurney on Elena's other side.
"What's going on?" He asked. "Ugh. Last thing I remember, um- vervain. Damn, that Maxfield guy's a dick."
"A simple 'hello' too much for you, eh?" The man said.
"What can I say, I'm just different." Rio replied with sarcasm in his tone.
"I like you." The man chuckled. "What's your name?"
"Rio." He said and the man started to hum cheerfully to himself. "You?"
"I'm Enzo."
"Enzo as in Damon's very own prince charming?"
"Damon? Now that's a name I haven't heard in, oh, half a century. Of course the only names I have heard were those of my torturer's. He still kicking, then?" Enzo wondered.
"I suppose you could call it that. I think it's more of a flopping." Rio joked. Enzo chuckled and hummed peacefully.
"So how do you know the traitor?"
"He's my brother." Rio shrugged. Elena woke up then. She seemed to be in a daze before she realised she was strapped to a table. She struggled against the chain as Enzo continued his humming.
"What's happening?" She said as she pulled on her restraints.
"I'm sensing a theme." Enzo smirked. "Has anyone heard of manners or has it faded away as time passed?"
"Well, considering you've been kidnapped and tortured for over fifty years, I suppose one could wonder if such a thing ever existed." Rio told him.
"Rio? What's going on?" Elena sounded scared.
"Welcome. I'm 12144. My name's Enzo." He welcomed.
"Yes, it's that Enzo, Elena." Rio smiled at her as her eyes widened in fright. "He's alive, it seems. He's friendly, though. It's nice."

When Wes came back, he took Elena out of the room, leaving Enzo and Rio alone.
"Where are you taking her?"
"Oh, don't you worry. Your time will come soon. I have a few questions for you."
"And you actually expect me to answer them? Can I get a phone at least?"
"To call for help?"
"I don't care about help right now. I just need to reassure someone."
"Oh, your daughter? Aaron told me you wanted to call her. Keep her out of town?" Wes asked.
"Yes." Rio rolled his eyes. This Wes guy had more leverage than Rio would've wanted. "And she's not a vampire so you don't have to wonder about luring her here to torture her too."
"That's impossible. Your brother's been alive for at least over fifty years, and you could have only had a daughter over fifty years ago. Unless you have a fifty year old daughter, which could be a pretty difficult thing to explain."
"Anya isn't biologically mine. I don't have any more to tell you. Just tell me if I can get a phone."
"See the thing is, you're kidnapped. You don't get certain privileges."
"You could have started with that."
"I'm sorry to disappoint you." He replied with sarcasm dripping from his voice. Rio, however, pretended to be oblivious to it.
"It's not alright." Wes stood still for a moment, before shaking his head in vexation, and wheeling Elena out of the room.
"Great show." Enzo told him. "I would have clapped, but you know. I can't."
"Well, I appreciate the sentiment." Rio got a good look at the man.
"Is Damon doing okay?"
"He's okay, I suppose. I mean, since he and Stefan came to Mystic Falls it's just been one bad thing after another. They both fell in love with Elena but she chose Stefan. Damon found out his first true love was alive and out in the world though he'd been searching for her for a century and a half. Well, I suppose that was only a century, since he spent half of one here. Anyways, Elena's a doppelganger which came with it's own baggage.  They tried to get rid of the Originals, especially one in particular. That is, until they realised they were part of his sire line and killing him would be literal suicide. They managed to kill two other Originals."
"What the hell are the originals?"
"The first vampires."
"Right."
"Yeah. And then after they left town, there was the threat of the first ever immortal, Silas. He's not really a vampire, he's just immortal. And there was some business with the cure and Elena got together with Damon and they lived happily ever after. That's not the full story, just a really short version."
"Oh."
"But when Damon told us about you, he did seem a little remorseful. My advice? Guilt trip him as much as you can."
"Speaking from experience?"
"No, some things you can't use." Enzo, sensing Rio wouldn't say anymore on the subject, changed the subject.
"What are you going to do when you get out of here?"
"Well, unlike you and my brother, I don't have any torture plans in mind. I'm just going to say goodbye to my siblings and go to my daughter and keep her safe and away from Mystic Falls. I heard you were going to kill Wes's dog and post it to him. You still planning that?"
"No, I'm going to find Maggie. See if she's still alive."
"How is that ging to work?"
"She won't see me. I'm going to see if she's happy, is all." Enzo shrugged. "So, Damon never mentioned you."
"Well, I only heard about you a couple hours ago, so I suppose that makes us even."
"No, I mean, I heard about Stefan, Damon believed his brother would bust down the door and save him, but he never mentioned you."
"Well back in 1864, when I was turned, I ran away, faked my own turn. Couple months later, they turned and our father told the village they were dead so I didn't know they were alive and vice versa." Rio shrugged as best as he could. "Who turned you?"
"A woman."
"A woman, huh?"
"Yeah, her name was Lily. I was dying and she saved me. Right before she abandoned me."
"Lily, huh?" Rio asked. "Was she pretty?"
"Gorgeous. A little older too."
"I was turned by Stefan and Damon's girlfriend. Except she did it to stop me from ruining the plan she had for my brothers."
"Ever fall in love?"
"Twice. You?"
"Twice. Lily was the first, back in 1903, she helped me and only when she realised there was nothing else she could do for me did she change me. She was kind. But she abandoned me. Just like everyone else. And then there was Maggie. You'll think I'm crazy but she worked for Augustine. She didn't know what actually happened. She just wrote notes on me. She found out what happened and, surprise surprise, she also left. Then Damon came along, he was a good bloke. Good friend to have, but guess what. He left me behind to die. Who'd you love?"
"There was once when I was a human. Her name's Amelia. Found out she's a vampire too, last year. We were childhood sweethearts. Engaged to be married not that my mother ever cared. But, my death put a stop to it, so there was that. And then after I turned, I met this woman- Charlotte. She was amazing. Kind, charming, good. Saved me from becoming a monster.  Because of her, I never killed anyone. I owed her my soul."
"Never?" A voice came from the doorway. Wes.
"Do you mind? We're trying to have a conversation here. It was deep and private. Good gosh. Next thing you know we'll have to get a door to stop him from walking in, Enzo." Rio huffed. Enzo chuckled.
"You're a vampire. All vampires ever do is kill." Wes sounded astounded.
"Yes and all humans ever did was kill. A couple millenia later and they changed. It's only been a while, why can't we?"
"What do you mean it's only been a while?"
"Well I don't know how old the oldest vampires are."
"You mean the guys your brothers hated?" Enzo asked.
"Yeah. They're actually my best friends."
"Do you mind? Torturer, for purely academic reasons only, in the room? Focus on me, please."
"Oh so you say please when talking to him, but with me you only use imperative verbs?" Enzo said, mock hurt. "I'm really feeling the love, Maxfield."
"Don't be green, Enzo. It doesn't suit you." Rio told him. bewilderment in his voice.
"How would you know? You can't even see me." Enzo said, with a hint of
"How would you know? You can't see me." Rio stressed back. Wes let out a long sigh, running his hand through his hair.
"This is going to be a long night." He said to himself.