39

"So," Caroline started. "Sam. You should ask her out."
"I don't like her that way. She's like a sister to me."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. I've loved one woman for a century and a half. I can't even look at another woman with even a possibility of a relationship."
"Wait, you haven't had sex since she died?"
"Caroline-"
"But, I mean, aren't you horny all the time? It's like a vampy trait isn't it?"
"Caroline."
"You're right. Inappropriate. But- I mean. It's been two years. I mean, you don't have to start dating if you don't want to. But-"
"Oh, God. Let's go downstairs please. I mean it, please." Rio's phone rang. "Saved by the phone." He looked at the caller and reluctantly picked up. "Or not. Rio Salvatore can't come to the phone at the moment, please leave a message after the beep. Beep."
"I know you're there Rio." James's voice came through. Rio stayed silent. "Don't make me track you down."
"Oh all right, what the hell do you want?"
"Well we never got to finish our reunion."
"I recall. Things popped up. Don't worry though, we're all good. I won't come after you as long as you stay away."
"You left Amelia in the dust."
"Sorry, I wasn't aware I had to check my every move with you all." Caroline's eyes widened.
"Ouch. Who are you talking to?"
"It's no one. Well no one that matters."
"Well I'm hurt." Max said.
"Max? Did you guys put me on speaker again?"
"Oh so you recognise our voices now?"
"Well, I'd forgotten your voices before. I don't spend my time thinking about you."
"Yeah, you're on speaker." Amelia said in the background. "Tell Caroline I said hi."
"Tell her I said hi back." Caroline answered, before Rio could relay the message. Obviously she'd used her superhearing.
"Who's Caroline?" Rio heard Maria asked.
"She's a Forbes."
"Awesome." Maria replied. "Are there any surviving Fells?"
"Yeah, there's a few." Rio said. "Ones in high school, another wants to be a cop."
"Are there any Gilberts?" Marcus asked in the background.
"Two. One used to be a hunter, the other used to be a human. I'm not talking about you."
"Are there any Lockwoods?" Max and James asked simultaneously.
"You two know the answer to that already. Any more questions?"
"Yeah. Any Salvatores?" Maria asked.
"No the last guy died a few years back. No kids. Just me and Stefan, now."
"What about Damon?"
"Damon died a few months ago."
"He did?!" Amelia asked, she wasn't expecting that. "No wonder you're not in New Orleans anymore."
"Yeah." Rio said. "Look, I have to go. See you if I see you. James, Max- Never call me again."
"Are you still upset over that tiny incident?"
"That wasn't a tiny incident. I can't do this right now, see I have a life and responsibilities. I'm not just a lowlife vampire who has nothing to except try to ruin other people's lives. Got a problem? Tough, I don't give a crap. Marcus, Maria, Amelia. Nice that you guys are alive. Distancing yourself from the twins might help keep you on that track." He said and was about to hang up the phone.
"Wait!" Amelia's voice stopped him.
"Yes?"
"Are you still up for that drink with Victor?"
"Not right now, Amelia. I have a lot on my plate. I'll text you if and when it lets up."
"Okay. Good luck."
"Thanks." Rio hung up the phone.
"I don't know if your angry or neutral or happy."
"I hate Max and James. But I did miss Maria, Marcus and Amelia."
"Who were they?"
"You ready for a story?" Rio raised a brow. Caroline motioned for him to continue. "Max and James are twins. From the Lockwood family."
"Huh?"
"Maria is a Fell, Marcus is a Gilbert and Amelia is a Forbes. I knew the twins were alive, but around five months ago, they tracked everyone from our old group down, blackmailed me and had a reunion of sorts. Turns out we all survived. We were all best friends, once upon a time."
"So what happened between the twins and you."
"They once tried to kill Lottie. She'd had her neck snapped but just as they were about to stake her, she woke up. What kind of coward tries to kill someone who's dead? They knew exactly what she meant to me. They hadn't turned off their humanity either. Of course, Lottie kicked their asses but left them alive. And then they kidnapped Sam just so I would go find them. Anya was so upset, she'd heard Sam scream and she didn't know where she was. Countless times they tried to hurt my family. First Lottie, then Sam. I'm trying to keep my distance before I end up killing them both."
"So they're like another version of Klaus."
"Klaus tried to really kill Damon maybe once. But he usually respects me enough not to go after my family. And never would he do anything to jeopardise Anya nor Charlotte. He understands there's a line. Those two don't. They're just bad. There's no reasoning with them. They were supposed to be werewolves but they were turned into vampires before they activated their curse. I think they keep trying to kill, in hopes their curse might activate. Klaus cares about family, but honestly they're more each for their own."
"I'm sorry." She gave him a half smile. Her phone began to ring and she walked downstairs. Rio took this opportunity to check on Anya and Rhea. He knocked on the door. There was no reply so he went inside. Anya was curled with Rhea delicately, trying to not hurt her. Rio smiled. Anya was definitely happy with the idea of a baby sister.
"Knock knock." He whispered, and she sat up.
"Rio?"
"Hey, kiddo." He walked into the room, closing the door behind him. "Did you have a nice sleep?"
"Um I think I had the strangest dream. I think you were in it too." She said, running a hand through her hair. "But it was a great nap."
"You're really tired lately."
"I think it's just the magic wearing me out. Don't worry, I'm fully replenished."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm fine, Rio. Is it seven already?"
"Way past seven. Possibly even eight or nine."
"What happened with the date?"
"Enzo and Caroline showed up, right before it. Are you hungry?"
"There's food?"
"Well since the date isn't going to happen, there's all that food and no one to eat it."
"Well it'd be a crime to let it go to waste."
"Of course. I'll bring it up to you. Stay hidden. Both of you. And don't forget the bags. Managed to keep Caroline out, I told her there was a spider. Pretty sure she didn't believe me."