1

"Rio." Rebekah said, shocked that he'd actually answered her call. She wasn't expecting him to, since he blew her off every other time she called. Though back then, it may have been too early.
"Rebekah? Are you okay? What's wrong?"
"How are you, Rio?"
"I'm fine. Rebekah, what's wrong?"
"Nothing, Rio. I just wondered how you were? It's been a year. Am I not allowed to call?"
"You are, I suppose. Not that I've hear from you in a year."
"Well the phone works two ways. How's Anya? It must be rough for her."
"It is. It's been a hard time adjusting. Samantha's been here helping out, and I thank her every  day for it."
"How are you dealing?"
"I miss her. I don't think I'll ever stop missing her."
"I could try to look for a way for you. For all the witches that exist, there's got to be something."
"It's not what she would've wanted. She would kill me if I searched for a way to bring her back with dark magic, and that's the only way possible."
"Do you think you could come to New Orleans?"
"What's going on, Rebekah?"
"I haven't heard from Elijah in a while, and I'm worried. Klaus knocked up some werewolf."
"What?"
"Yes. It seems breaking his Hybrid curse means he can have kids."
"Oh, God. He hasn't told me. When'd he find out?"
"You've kept in touch with Klaus." Rebekah sounded surprised, and with good reason. Rio had closed himself off to everyone including his own brothers.
"It was impossible not to when he wouldn't stop calling. We talk every month."
"Well, it hasn't been a month since he found out, so that could be why."
"I'll see."
"Alright. Bye Rio." Rio started to hang up. "Hey Rio?"
"Yeah?"
"I'm sorry."
"You lost a brother, Rebekah. I'm not the only one who's lost someone."
"If I'm being honest, I lost Finn 900 years ago, if I ever even had him."
"And Kol?"
"I'm going to miss him, a lot." Rebekah replied and hung up before Rio could say anything. Rio looked up to see Anya in the corner.
"You have your old phone out. You spoke to Klaus two weeks ago. So what? Blast from the past?"
"Rebekah."
"Oh? Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, she's worried about Klaus."
"Are we going to go to him?"
"We aren't going anywhere. If I decide to go, you'll stay here with Samantha and I will be back soon."
"No way."
"Anya, the last time you and your mother came along to a town with supernaturals, your mother died."
"I'm aware of that. But my mother would have died anyways, no matter where. She wasn't killed, she died."
"I can't risk losing you, Anya. No matter how much you can protect yourself."
"What about you? You're going to leave, and risk your own life, and leave me behind?"
"Then we'll both stay."
"You can't do that either, Rio. My mother would hate you if you did that. She'd hate you if you changed."
"I have changed."
"I know, but you're still the same Rio as well."
"Anya-"
"No, Rio. I won't let you ice me out too. You're the only parent I've got left." Anya left the room in a huff. Rio stared after her sadly. She was right but he couldn't bring her along.

"So, Anya's upset." Samantha approached him.
"Yeah."
"Gonna tell me why?"
"Rebekah called. Wants me to go to New Orleans, because of Klaus, and Anya's telling me to go."
"So go."
"I would, but I can't take her along, and she wants to come."
"Ahh. Look at it from her point of view. Her biological father, a man she'd trusted for nine centuries lied to her for her entire life. Granted, it's only been sixteen years for her, but still. And noot even a year after she knew he was dead, her mother died, and another man who slowly gained her trust is about to leave her alone. She's scared to lose you."
"I don't want to lose her. And taking her into a town full of vampires and originals? I doubt that's a good idea. And she won't let me not go."
"Boy, I'd hate to be you." Rio chuckled. Samantha gave him a pat on the back and started to leave.
"Samantha?" She turned around.
"Yeah?"
"I want to thank you. You didn't have to stay but you did. You helped me and Anya, and without you I don't know if I could have pulled this off."
"I know I can be a bitch, Rio. But you're a decent guy. Charlie loved you, and that's enough for me." She gave him one last smile and left.