18

Annoyed with them, Wes decided to knock the two vampires out using a gas mask. Rio woke up to being shaken by Wes.
"What?" He asked. He noticed Enzo missing. "Where's Enzo? Is it my turn?"
"Yes, it's your turn. Your new friend Enzo is out in the real world, planning to kill your brother."
"Which one?"
"Does it matter?" Wes shook his head.
"Well, I'd tell you if and how it would matter except, you know. Kidnapper, kidnappee?" Rio gestured to Wes and himself with his chin, seeing as his arms were somewhat occupied. "Where's Elena?"
"Somewhere else. And as you so kindly pointed out- kidnapper, kidnappee." Wes said pointing at himself then Rio. "I ask the questions."
"Okay, but I promise no answers."
"Who were those vampires you were referring to earlier?"
"My brothers? Oh, they're just two boys I grew up with. We shared the same parents, same home."
"You're a smart aleck aren't you? I'm talking about the really old ones. The ones your brothers hate, I believe 12144 referred to them as."
"Not ringing a bell."
"Let me try a different approach. I ask, you answer, and I'll let you have that phone call."
"Her arrival might not be too bad. She'd rescue me, hurt- but not kill- you, and we'd both leave this town together."
"How old is she?"
"Nine. Hundred. Nine hundred." Rio said. His tone suggested he was playful, but, unbeknownst to Wes, he was telling the truth. Wes's phone rang.
"Who's this?" Wes asked after a pause. He paused again. "Funny. I have Rio-" Wes looked over to Rio, "Your name is Rio, right?" Rio rolled his eyes and Wes carried on talking "and Elena, and I'm wondering how she'll function without her cerebral cortex. Touch him, and you'll never see her again." There was a pause. "Oh I have something special planned for Rio."
"Stefan! Call Klaus. Tell him to keep Anya away." Rio called out. He'd guessed it was Stefan, because Wes already knew Damon, and probably knew Caroline too. Wes let him have it.
"Don't worry, Stefan." Wes said slowly. "Your brother is fine. As long as you play by my rules, it'll stay that way."
"You're a sick bastard." Rio said to Wes, once he hung up.
"I prefer the term willing to do anything for science."
"Including torture?"
"You're vampires. I don't care what you say, I don't believe that you've never killed a human. You've all done worse."
"I don't kill humans, and I don't kill vampires."
"Why not?"
"Because killing is wrong. I don't like to play God. Nothing gives me the right to take another life. If I do, then what's to stop me from being a monster."
"I don't believe you."
"I don't care."
"Who are the oldest vampires?" Rio refused to say anything. He knew they wouldn't ever be in any real danger, what with being invincible, and Klaus would probably kill him off, but he refused to risk it. "Well, aren't you full of juicy little secrets?" Wes picked up his phone as he put a gas mask over Rio. "I'm going to have a friend pick you up. This place could be compromised. And then I'll go to Elena. Time to see how big her brain is."

When Rio woke up, he was in another room. He guessed he'd slept through the night. It was another lab, sort of old fashioned, but it looked equipped enough for Maxfield's pleasure.
"What is this place?"
"This is the original Augustine lab. This is where we experimented on your brother and Enzo." Wes said, walking in.
"What are you going to do?" Rio spat.
"No no no, the question is- what are you going to do?" Rio was strapped to another gurney, but this time he wasn't wearing his shirt.
"If you wanted my shirt off, you could have bought me dinner first. Maybe even a drink." Rio smirked.
"You're going to tell me everything you know- spill your guts- or I will literally spill your guts." Wes threatened, snapping his gloves.
"Don't be too sure." Rio shot back. Wes used the scalpel he had in his hand to make an incision down Rio's stomach. Rio gritted his teeth and hissed in pain.
"Let's try this again, shall we? Who are the old vampires?"
"Vampires." Rio said.
"Tut tut tut." Wes tutted. "Wrong answer."
"I don't know. Why don't you tell me?" Wes opened up Rio's skin, using two clamps to hold them to the side, so his insides were visible.
"Maybe we should start with an easier question. Who's Klaus? I noticed you mentioned him earlier."
"He's a friend of mine."
"Is he a vampire?"
"No. At least, not to my knowledge. I knew his parents."
"You did?"
"Yeah. His mother hated all vampires, and his dad was a vampire hunter. It's a very complicated friendship."
"Okay. Tell me more about your daughter. Where is she, if not in Virginia?"
"I'm hoping London. But she could be in Tokyo. Or Paris. It's hard to keep track."
"Who're the old vampires?" Wes tried again.
"Hmm, still don't feel like telling you, Wes. Better luck next time, Wes." Wes reached into Rio and cut out his kidney. Wes wasn't trying to be delicate about it. Rio let out a groan, clenching his hands.
"You want to tell me now?"
"Okay, okay." Rio said. "The old vampires are, just that. Old vampires. I don't know what you want from me."
"Are they evolved?"
"What do you mean?"
"Are they different?"
"They're vampires. They're really old so, they're actually a lot weaker than they used to be." Rio lied. Wes gestured for him to carry on and Rio stayed silent. Wes, frustrated, reached into Rio's insides once more. Rio winced and sighed, giving in. "As a young vampire grows, he/ she gets stronger. The more we utilise our strength, the stronger we thing we are. But when we reach a certain age, we realise how much weaker we are. Eventually, instead of dying, we sort of turn to stone."
"So have they been turned to stone?"
"Almost completely. What did you thing that vampires just lived forever? Well, we do, but once we turn into stone, we're trapped inside. it's torture. That's why it's usually better to commit suicide, when you start to feel it's effects."
"So why didn't they?" Rio pursed his lips.
"I've told you a lot, and you've taken my kidney. What else do you need?"
"Everything. Tell me, how long have you been alive?"
"What, Damon refuse to answer your question?"
"Well, yeah. But I have a feeling you'll be more co-operative." Wes smirked lifting the scalpel. Rio shook his head. "Okay, let's cut off your ears?"
"Or, let's not." Rio replied.
"Your eyes it is, then." Wes smirked. "You can stop this if you talk."
"I'm six hundred years old." Rio sighed.
"Who was Charlotte? The woman who kept you on the right path, as you say?"
"No. I'm not talking about her." Rio shut up. Wes held up a sharp instrument.
"This'll go in your eyes if you don't." Rio shrugged. Wes, shrugged back, as he brought it closer to Rio's eyes. Rio shouted in pain this time, as the instrument cut out his eyeball, and he panted as he got used to the pain. He didn't want Wes to have the satisfaction of hearing just how hurt he was. "Where next?" Wes asked once Rio's eyes had been carved out.
There was a large noise upstairs. Wes furrowed his brows in confusion. Rio, hoping it'd be help, yelled, "Down here!"