10

Rio spent time upstairs with Anya and Sam. It sounded like the beginning of a bad joke. A vampire, a werewolf and a witch in a room. He was still waiting for the punchline. There was a knock on the door, and Rio went downstairs to open it, though Hayley had beaten him there.
"Marcellus!" He smiled. "Hello."
"Hi, Rio. And why is there a werewolf here?" He asked. "Two?"
"Well, it's a pretty long story. And you remember, you keep your secrets I'll keep mine."
"Except you figured out my secret. I told you."
"Fair enough. But I can only tell you one of the three things you're curious about. Anya's survival, about Hayley, or about Sam."
"Sam?"
"The werewolf upstairs."
"Hm, I'll choose the one upstairs, hiding."
"Sure. But wrong choice. That's Sam, and she's been helping me with Anya since Charlotte died. She's become a friend and she moved here since I plan on staying a while. That is all there is to it." Rio told him.
"That's it?"
"You know I wouldn't lie, Marcellus."
"Oh alright then. Anyways, I was just wondering why the Mikaelsons have been lying about where they were staying. I'm going to guess it's this werewolf here?"
"Maybe they just didn't want a stalker." Hayley said, bitchily. "Like, hmm. Say, you?"
"Woah, down girl."
"Bite me." She shot back.
"Roll over."
"Or maybe they felt a little nostalgic. They lived here once upon a time, remember? Who knows?" Rio cut in before they could insult each other more.
"You do."
"I'll see you later, Marcellus." Rio told him. Marcel got the hint and left.
"So that's Marcel." Hayley said once the door was closed. "Charming!"
"Hey, he's actually a nice guy."
"He's like another Klaus."
"Well Klaus raised the guy, what do you expect?"
"Wait what?"
"Yeah, Klaus took Marcel in when he was a kid, and raised him and turned him."
"So why do they hate each other?"
"They don't not really. Marcel blames Klaus for leaving whereas Klaus is a little hurt that Marcel wasn't dead and that he was alive and that he had thrived."
"More complicated family drama. I feel sorry for the kids." Hayley said.
"Yeah. You going to keep that a secret."
"Well my pregnancy is a secret to all non-mikaelsons anyways, so..." She smiled. There was another knock at the door. "Who's that?"
"I don't know. Stay behind me." Rio said. He opened the door, only his neck was immediately snapped.

When Rio came to, he was next to Hayley with Tyler in front of them.
"Dick." He swore.
"Hello, Rio."
"Seriously? You're going to kidnap pregnant women now? At least Klaus wouldn't kidnap pregnant women."
"No he'd just threaten them." Tyler said. "Maybe even kill them. Why is a guy supposedly so good hanging out with Klaus?"
"Because he's my friend. I thought Hayley was yours, except you don't kidnap friends. I shouldn't have to tell you this, but it's wrong."
"It's for the greater good."
"There goes that phrase again. Hey everyone let's kill one Original vampire, doesn't matter if he hasn't ever done anything to me, just so that his brother and the rest of is family could die. Who even came up with that idea? And how did that end up again? Oh, right, you killed the one Original who's been daggered for nine tenths of his life and did nothing to any of you. He finally decided to live his life and you guys ended it. And ended up killing my wife and a few of my friends. And again more of my friends when you guys killed Kol." Rio said, letting it all out. The phrase 'greater good' seemed to have triggered something in him.
"Sorry, I wasn't there."
"Oh that's right, you were befriending Hayley. She helped you out of your sire link."
"Yeah, because your bestie did that to me. What's your justification for that?"
"I don't always justify what he does. He's no saint, but he's not that bad of a person sometimes. And honestly you're the one who tied up the person you call a friend. I'm just going to let that sink in." Rio just noticed a dead body. "And appparently you're also killing now too. Of course you are. Let me guess, it's Klaus's fault? He did this to you?"
"Well, yeah. He took pleasure in ruining my life. Besides, Dwayne volunteered for this."
"For you to kill him?" Hayley scoffed.
"Dwayne is a werewolf who died with your blood in his system. The same blood you share with your hybrid baby."
"You're trying to turn him into a hybrid? That's impossible!" Hayley said.
"Unless, the baby inherited Klaus's hybrid making gene."
"I've been running with wolf packs all over the country. One of them was tight with a witch. She had nightmare visions about your baby and how Klaus could use its blood to make an army of hybrid slaves."
"I am sick of these witches and their stupid premonitions about my baby. It's just a baby!" Hayley said, careful to say 'baby' rather than 'babies'. Tyler had given no indication that he knew she was carrying twins.
"Exactly. A baby who's barely past the first month! Come on Tyler, so what if the baby turns out to be able to make hybrids."
"Maybe. Maybe not. That's where Dwayne comes in. You see, he was happy to be the test case. If you haven't noticed, these people don't have much to live for. They'd all welcome the chance to become the superior species. Trouble is, all hybrids are sired to Klaus. They follow his every move." Tyler brought out a knife. "No way I let that happen."
"How can you be so sure Klaus knows what the baby's blood will do?" Hayley questioned.
"What do you think? Klaus Mikaelson, killer of men, women and puppies, all of a sudden wants to be a daddy? Or, he's got an ulterior motive. Hybrids can walk in the sun. Their bite is lethal to vampires. They'll take over New Orleans by the end of the week. And you know what's going to stop Klaus then? Nothing."
"Oh please, Klaus may be a stone cold idiot sometimes, but he doesn't know. He's here because he's about to have a baby. He knows the responsibilities of being a father, and he was happy to take on that role once before. He doesn't know about the baby being able to sire hybrids, he's just all about the baby. You know that, Hayley." Rio burst. Dwayne woke up.
"You're going to have to drink from her." Tyler told his friend and cut Hayley's neck. Rio struggled to get out of his cuffs but he'd been flooded with vervain. He'd taken some before, but never in this amount. He could feel it slowly leaving his system but it'd be in him for another month at least. Hayley screamed.
"What, no!" Dwayne walked over to Hayley and fed on her, despite her cries. After a moment, Dwayne stopped feeding and fell to the floor in pain. Tyler pushed him outside and left the shack to tend to him. Hayley notices the knife on the ground and strains to reach for it. When she realizes she couldn't reach it, she motioned to Rio who tried but couldn't either. So, instead she grabbed a broken chair leg from the floor. Outside, Dwayne continued to convulse.
"It worked, didn't it? He's a hybrid."
"If Klaus gets a hold of you, if he gets that kid? He wins."
"Then help me hide the baby from him! Help me run." Hayley pleaded.
"Hayley!" Rio said aghast. He was fond of the werewolf but that was harsh.
"I won't let my child grow so that Klaus can use him or her."
"Klaus wouldn't do that."
"You're his best friend. You're just saying that." She said. "Klaus isn't all rainbows and unicorns, why would he care about having a baby?"
"You're right. It's not like he's been infertile for a thousand years, or that he'd never father a child. Klaus is a monster, why should he care that he can have a baby?" Rio replied sarcastically. "I know how bad Klaus can be, but he found out he was having a baby and he cared enough to stay and protect you. Instead of killing Sophie Devereaux, he decided to take the high road so that you, and the baby that he'd only just found out you were pregnant with, could live. But of course, why should he care?"
"Even if I help you run, he'll find you, he'll take your kid away, and he'll make more hybrid monsters. Slaves who do everything he says."
"Tyler, whatever you're thinking of doing, there has to be another way. You're not like this!" Hayley sounded terrified. Rio struggled harder and managed to break through the bonds holding him. However, he was still a little weak from the vervain in his system and Tyler just snapped his neck again.