22

"Rio!" Anya exclaimed as Rio entered the Mikaelson compound. She'd been waiting for him at the door.
"Were you waiting for me?"
"I put up a supernatural alarm system. When you get close enough I was alerted."
"Guess you've been working on your powers?"
"Yeah. With Davina gone-" Anya faltered.
"What do you mean, with Davina gone?"
"Davina died in the ritual. New Orleans was going to end up in flames, and the only way to stop it was to finish the harvest."
"Oh, Anya! You didn't tell me!"
"Well you didn't call. Or pick up." Rio winced.
"Right. See, the thing is-"
"And don't lie. Klaus told me everything." She crossed her arms and raised a brow.
"So he told you my phone got broken when I fought with Damon?"
"No he told me your phone got broken as you fought with Elena."
"I wasn't fighting Elena. I got angry at her." Rio sighed. He knew he shouldn't lie to Anya but he didn't want to worry her. She already had enough troubles in her life. "Elena's a vampire now, right? I got angry at her because Damon broke up with her and she told me she wanted to date Stefan not a day later. Damon didn't know that and tried to tell me she was a perfect little angel. So I punched him, and he punched me back, and then Elena tried to step in between us and I accidentally punched her instead. Then Damon got even more angry and snapped my neck."
"You're lying, Rio. Don't you trust me?"
"Of course I do, Anya. You're the most precious thing in my life. I trust you more than anyone."
"Then what are you trying to protect me from? I deserve the truth."
"I know you do. Hey, I got some news for you." He said, wiping away her tears and hugging her. She pulled back.
"What?"
"Let's go inside first and I'll tell you everything."

"So mum's not alone?" Anya sat cross-legged on her bed and Rio say opposite her.
"No. She has the company of the witches on the other side. You know, she's probably in this very room, watching you."
"Really?" Anya looked around, smiling at the thought.
"Yes. She's been watching over the both of us. She talked to Bonnie who talked to me."
"What did she say?"
"She loves you. And she misses you more than anything in the world."
"Except you?"
"No. I come in second. Always."
"That's not fair." Anya shook her head as her eyebrows furrowed.
"Yes it is, Anya. You're her daughter. You are always going to be first, and I'm fine with that. I'm more than fine with that, I love that."
"Promise?"
"Promise. I wouldn't have it any other way."
"Okay."
"What did she tell you?"
"Well, she told me that you need to get some sleep." Rio said. "Come on, it's getting dark."
"Can you tell me some more stories about her?"
"Okay, get changed, and I'll be downstairs, then I'll tell you, yeah? That sound fair?"
"I'm seventeen. I don't need a bedtime."
"Yes, but you're also a morning person. You always wake up before six. So you need to sleep now, teenagers need around nine hours of sleep, if not more."
"Yes, but I can always sleep in."
"You're definition of sleeping in is waking up at six and staying in bed till ten, reading or doing magic."
"You know about that?"
"Yes, so go get changed, I'll be next door." Rio smiled and stood up, leaving her room. He went to his and got out his laptop. He'd kept track of his mother until 1903. So where would a witch get her? Something was familiar about the date. 1903. Wasn't that the date Enzo was turned? Rio decided he'd need to make a wall of his facts. He went in his bag and picked out the one picture he had of his mother. He may have hated the bitch, but that didn't mean he didn't miss her. The human her. He plastered the picture on the wall and stuck a post it not on her. The note read 'Lily Salvatore. Vanished 1903. Witch?'. Using bluetack, he stuck a piece of string that started from her picture to an empty space on the wall. Getting another post-it note, he wrote, 'Enzo. Turned 1903. Abandoned by a Lily. Same???'. There was a knock on his door.
"I'm ready Rio, come on!" Anya called. He froze, then turned to the door.
"Um, coming!" Rio said. He had no way to cover the wall so he only slightly opened the door and went out, not letting Anya see what was inside.
"What's in there?"
"Research. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. I just need to find a way to figure things out."
"Fine, I'm holding you to that." She said, as they walked into her room.
"What do you want me to tell you about your mother?"
"Did you ever meet my dad? My biological one?"
"Meet him? Yes, I did."
"Can you tell me about him? Was he ultra mean, or was there a little bit of kindness to him?"
"Well, he raised you, so he wasn't a total moron." Rio smiled at her.
"I'm sorry. It's okay if you don't want to talk about him."
"It's not that, Anya. He's your biological father, you have every right to know about him. The only thing bad about him was he could never let go. He was stubborn. If there was anything about him, it was that. Once he believed something, that was it. You could fight him tooth and nail, bring evidence before him and he wouldn't change his mind. So once he had this idea that your mother was evil, and he couldn't ever not believe in that."
"Why?"
"I'll make you a deal. How about you get into bed, and I'll tell you." He told her. She rolled her eyes, and went under the covers.