32

"Okay, Klaus. You have a party to get to, and I have a daughter to get to. You need me, you call me and I will be right down. You know that, right? Just one phone call. Or even a text."
"Rio, it's okay. I want you to go. You need to look after Anya. Keep her safe. And keep yourself safe. You're my best friend, alright? And for God's Sake, you're not abandoning me. I understand that you're not. Get over yourself." Klaus nudged him.
"How'd you know I was thinking that?"
"Because you have your guilty face, and I know no one would be able to get you to leave if Anya wasn't in the picture. But she is, and you need to keep her out of this city. I've grown to like the kid, myself." Klaus chuckled.
"Are you sure? You want me to stay for another month at least?"
"Rio, go!" Klaus more or less pushed his friend out of the door. "I'll call you tomorrow."
"Okay." Rio didn't move.
"If you don't go, I'll tell her the full story about Mystic Falls and Wes."
"You wouldn't betray me like that."
"Try me." Klaus smirked, and gave his friend one last push.
"You're pure evil."
"I try," Klaus shrugged.
"Fine." Rio gave in at Klaus's unwavering face. "I'll hear from you tomorrow."

"Ready?" Amelia asked. The two sat in her car. Rio seemed a little uncertain. He looked at her and sighed.
"As I'll ever be." He said and she drove off. "So I'm not seeing your boyfriend around."
"Yeah, he's still in Mystic Falls, on his way to Arizona."
"Do I have to see him?" Rio asked, eyes wide. Amelia chuckled.
"Maybe. Victor's not that bad, Rio."
"I'll take your word for it." Rio laughed as a thought came to him. "I can't wait until the twins see him. They'll be shocked."
"The twins? They met Vic?"
"No, but they've heard of him. Not many have met Vic and lived to tell the tale, Mel."
"Right."
"Oh cheer up, isn't he good now?" Rio tried to cheer her up.
"Yeah, I suppose."
"Oh fine. I'll see if he wants to go out for beer." He said. Amelia immediately brightened up.
"Great. I'll tell him."
"You played me."
"If there's one thing you care about other than family, Rio. It's friends. Which is how I know you'll come over and hang with the gang."
"Don't be too sure. Marcus, and Maria, and you I'm fine with, but I hate the twins."

"Rio!" Anya exclaimed as he walked into Samantha's home.
"Hey kiddo." Amelia had dropped him off and drove off to meet with her boyfriend.
"No more spontaneous leaving?"
"Not if I can help it." He smiled at her. "So how's it been here in Colorado?"
"Well, it's a little boring."
"You need to start school young lady."
"Oh god, I hoped you wouldn't bring that up."
"Well I am. I'll give you a month, see if we might move and then it's straight to school."
"Well, at least I have a month." She shrugged.
"Hey, Mr Busy." Samantha walked back to him.
"Hey Miss Kidnappee." He replied, giving her a side hug. "I've missed you two. Hopefully we'll have that month of quietude."
"And you've just jinxed it." Anya rolled her eyes.
"Well, then be ready for some adventure."
"So what happened after we left New Orleans?"
"Well, I left the priest and his daughter to themselves and headed to the Compound. There was an awkward encounter with Klaus and his something or the other. Then Klaus and I went out, and bumped into Elijah and then he left and we bumped into Hayley who hung out with us. Then Amelia came and explored the town and drove me back here. So it was just the soon-to-be parents and me, and we just talked. I caught Klaus up on the search for mommy dearest and about the whole Mystic Falls Founding Family Original Squad thing."
"How's Hayley doing? With the whole pregnancy? Isn't she nine months already?" Sam asked.
"Almost. She's got about a week or two."
"I can't believe there are going to be two mini-Klaus-and-Hayleys around."
"Two baby girls. Makes me wanna have kids now." Sam cooed.
"Don't you have to meet a guy first."
"Well, yeah. But at the same time, I don't want to have a baby. Babies cry. And the whole no sleep thing? Sucks."
"You know you were a baby once?" Rio raised a brow.
"So?" Sam put a hand on her hip.
"Okay. Okay." Anya intervened getting between the two. "That's enough. Now let's just watch a movie."
"Which one?" Rio asked.
"Thor!" Anya exclaimed.
"Alright. I'll set it up. You guys get the snack."
"Or you can get the snacks and we'll set it up. You're good at snacks." Sam smiled at him and Anya nodded in agreement. Rio rolled his eyes.
"Fine. But don't put Twilight or something on. I will hide the snacks if you do."
"Yeah, sure." Anya shooed him away.
"I need to have more guys in my life. There's way too many girls around here."
"Don't act like you don't love it." Sam laughed, nudging him.
"How comes you two hated each other?" Anya asked. "I mean you guys are pretty close."
"You brought us together, kid. Never underestimate the power of family."