I Hate You, Chloe

I slam the paper on the table in front of Jai. "Read the front page." I walk away from him.

I need to get out of this house

I walk to my room and grab my handbag. I put it over my shoulder and walk out the door. I unlock the door to Jai's red Mazda mx5-2016 sports car. I climb in and put the key in the ignition. I pull out of the driveway and just drive.

When I look at where I'm going I see that I'm close to Santa Barbara Pier. I look for a parking spot and park my car.

Aleysa used to like coming here a lot. Her favourite ride was the Ferris Wheel.

I'm going to spend the day riding the Ferris Wheel.

At least I will be away from everything that's going to be happening at the house with the article in the paper about Jai's Proposal. 

I lock the car and walk over to the Ferris Wheel. I line up and wait for my turn.

It's not crowded here today. It was a couple days ago when Aleysa passed away.

The guy looks at me. "Are you with anyone?"

I shake my head. "It's just me." I move to the seat and I sit.

The guy puts the bar over me. "Hold on tight, Miss." He takes a double look at me. "You're her aren't you?"

I frown. "Who?"

"The girl from the paper? The one that signed a Proposal with Jai Marshall."

"No, that's not me."

He ignores me and moves the ride up.

Damn it. He's going to let people know that I'm here. I was hoping to have a quiet day alone.

I look around at all the people below as the Ferris Wheel goes around. When I'm at the top the ride stops and I can see the beach.

It's beautiful from up here. Now, I know why my sister loves riding on this.

I look at the vacant spot next to me. "I wish you were here, Aleysa." I close my eyes and imagine that I'm next to my sister and it's like I can hear her tell me that she's here and that she's not going to leave my side.

Aleysa was an amazing girl. Her life was short lived, but I'm glad that I got to spend time with her.

I got the opportunity to know her. I just wished that I went to a school closer to home. My life could have been different if I stayed in Los Angeles instead of travelling to New York.

The email alert on my phone goes off and I look at the message.

From: Harry Wilson
To: chloeknight@gmail.com

Job

Dear Chloe

I heard about your sister and I would like to send my deepest apologies for your loss. However, the last time we spoke I told you that I could keep a position in my office available in Los Angeles. I was wondering if you still want the job?