Goodbye Marshall's Part I

The following morning I wake up wrapped in Jai's arms and I feel his chest rise and fall as he's still asleep. I watch him sleep for awhile before he opens his brown eyes and looks at me. He kisses my cheek. "Good morning, beautiful."

"Morning," I mumble against his chest and he laughs.

"You're cute, when your embarrassed, Chloe. Last night was the best sleep I have had in weeks."

I lift my head to look at him. "Is that because you shared a bed with me?"

He nods. "It felt good to have you in my arms as well. I forgot how nice it was to wake up with the woman you love in your arms."

I wonder how many woman he loved before I came into the picture.

I sit up. "Are you trying to seduce me?"

Jai winks. "Is it working."

I climb off the bed. "Yes, but we're not going to have our first time together under the roof of your parents place or in your childhood bed. I don't know how many girls you slept with on this mattress."

Jai laughs. "Mom and Dad brought this bed after I moved out. Mom told Dad that she couldn't stand to look at the bed that had heaps of girls in it. She wanted the next bed for the woman I was going to marry to share it with me."

I like his Mom more for doing that.

I walk over to my suitcase and open it. I quickly get changed into a red dress and ballet flats. "I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast." I open the door and run out of the room.

When I get to the kitchen Veronica looks at me. "Where's the fire, sweetie?"

"In your son's room."

She starts laughing. "I take it you didn't..."

"No," I cut her off and shaking my head. My face starts to heat up from embarrassment. "I don't want to talk about it anymore."

Nate and Aleysa walk into the kitchen. They sit next to me at the table.

"Morning," Veronica says.

"Morning," Nate and Aleysa say.

Jai walks into the kitchen and he kisses his Mom's cheek. "Good morning, Mom. Can I help you with something?"

Veronica points to an orange plastic bowl. "I want you to put two cups of wholemeal flour into the bowl."

She's smart to get her son to cook breakfast for us.

"Put two teaspoons of baking powder in it." I watch him measure everything out and place it in a bowl. "Two tablespoons of caster sugar." Jai measures that as well. He looks at his Mom as she rounds the table and sits next to me. "What are you doing, Mom?"

Veronica winks at me before she turns her attention back to her son. "I'm letting my son cook for his beautiful girlfriend and her siblings. When you get back home you will be able to cook something else for breakfast besides bacon and eggs."

I don't mind having that every once and while.

"What else do I need to do?"

"Get the buttermilk, ricotta cheese and milk out of the fridge." Veronica puts the milk and buttermilk into the bowl. "Get an egg and put it in with the two milks."

Jai gets an egg and he walks back over to the milks and he cracks the egg on the side of the bowl. A few small pieces of shell go into the mixture.