2.

Three Months Later

After my parents died I quit my job and moved to Los Angeles to take care of my siblings. As their caregiver I didn't want to uproot their lives and move them to New York, just for my job. Besides, I didn't want to live in New York forever.

Aleysa and Nate's lives are here and so are their friends. They need to have familiar people around them to help them through this tough time.

A couple days after my parents funeral, I moved my siblings out of the house and into an apartment building in Burbank.

The place has security measures that we need as we could still be a target from the people that murdered my parents.

There's a security lock at the entrance of the building and the only way you can enter the building is to know the code. The codes are given out weekly, to the people that live here. A security guard is placed at a desk close the lifts and he knows everyone that lives here. He uses first names as someone enters and exits the building.

I recently learnt that his name is Hans.

Hans is a huge guy. He has tanned skin, arms and legs with muscles and he is bold. He looks a bit like a WWE Wrestler.

When Aleysa and Nate aren't doing their homework they are downstairs talking to Hans. During his night shift they bring left over food to him and they keep him company until he's finished dinner.

At 7am, I walk into Aleysa's room. She's normally up and getting ready for school at this time, but when she didn't come to breakfast I started to worry about her.

I enter her her room. "Aleysa, it's time for you to get up."

She doesn't move.

Turning her on her side I see that she is pale and there's blood on the pillow case and sheets. Dried blood is on her face and around her nose. I pull the blankets off her and she's covered in bruises.

What's happening to my sister?

"Nate," I yell.

Nate runs into the room and he looks at me. "What?"

"I need you to call an ambulance. There's something wrong with Aleysa." I place my hand close to her mouth and I feel air being blown onto my hand.

She's alive.

He pulls out his phone and calls 911. He tells them what's wrong with Aleysa and he spends time walking to them.

I walk around the room and pack a bag for my sister.

I don't know how long she's going to be in the hospital for.

Aleysa's been sick for the last week and half. She was starting to feel lethargic and her appetite has been diminishing the last couple of days.

A week and a half ago I got a phone call from Aleysa's school and they told me she wasn't feeling well. I went to the school and picked her up. When we got home she went to bed.

That night I brought her some soup and she ate it.

During the night she screamed my name and I got out of bed. I ran to her bedroom and found her on the ground. I picked her up and carried her to bed. "What happened?"

She has tears in her eyes. "I was going to the bathroom, when I felt dizzy and fell."

Picking up the cup on the night stand I give it to her. "Drink this. You need to stay hydrated, sis."

Aleysa takes the cup from me and she drinks. When the cup is empty she gives it to me. She lies back in her bed. "Thanks."

I kiss her cheek. "I'm going to fill up the cup." I walk across the hall to the bathroom and I fill up the cup. I take it back to her room and find her fast asleep. "Goodnight, sis." I shut the door and walk back to my room.