1.

October 2015

I was supposed to be at my parents place hours go, but I was stuck in traffic on the way to Los Angeles.

On the radio they announced that a truck ran into twelve cars before tipping over and landing on its side. It blocked most lanes off and there was only one lane open for us to drive on.

The truck was still over turned as I drove past. All the cars that were involved in the accident were put on tow trucks and towed away.

There were five deaths due to the accident and twelve were injured and taken to the closest hospital to be treated.

I pull my Nissan Versa into the driveway of my parents place I see that the lights are turned off. Looking at the dashboard I see that it's 10:30pm.

I don't have keys to get into the house.

I reach into the back and pull my overnight bag towards me. Stepping out of the car I hear cicadas. A few cars drive by the cul-de-sac street I grew up on. Other than that it's quiet.

Knocking on the front door I wait for someone to answer. I hear the chain slide across the lock and the door opens revealing Dad.

He's wearing a pair of grey boxers and a white t-shirt. His light brown hair is sticking up and his eyes are slightly closed, giving him the 'I just woke up look.'

A smile spreads across his face. "Hello, sweetheart." He pulls me in for a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to surprise Mom for her birthday." I enter the house and walk to the living room.

Dad follows me, and we sit next to each other on the couch. "How is work going?"

A smile spreads across my face. "I got a promotion at Wilson Inc. I'm now a team leader. I train the new recruits and get to boss them around." I look at the stairs. "How are Aleysa and Nate?"

Dad laughs. "You can't wait long enough to ask about your siblings can you?" He looks towards the stairs. "Aleysa, has her good days and bad. Just like any twelve years old. I prefer her good days. Nate, well he prefers to hang out with his friends and party on the weekends."

I miss my family.

"I told Mom and you that I could come home more often and help."

He places his warm hands on my face. "You're young, Chloe. You need to live your life and not worry too much about us." He smiles. "I would love it if you come home more often."

Hugging him I whisper. "When I come home you have to take a Mom out for the day and I will take care of Aleysa. The two of you need a break at times." I turn towards the stairs and see Mom walking down.

She's wearing a pink dressing gown.

I got her that last Mother's Day.

Her brown hair is sticking up in all directions, and she has fluffy pink slippers on her feet. She wraps her arms around her stomach. "Who was at the door, honey?" Mom looks in my direction and she freezes mid step. A smile spreads across her face, and she runs down the remaining stairs. She engulfs me in a tight hug. "Chloe," she pulls back slightly to get a good look at me. "I'm glad your home."