Scare

Three in the morning. Scary way to wake up.

Kate ran into my room and shook me awake. "Jessica get up please! Wake up!"

When I was finally awake and aware of my surroundings, My eyes widened. "Kate? Wha- What's going on?"

"Its Alexis! She just fell! And she's not getting up!"

I jumped up and followed Alexis to the kitchen. "Call 9-1-1 Kate!"

-

-

We followed Alexis as she lay in the stretcher. The doctors rushed her inside. Then they made us wait outside in the lobby. We had been waiting in the emergency room, watching as patients flew in and out of the hospital.

I looked at Kate. "What happened?"

Kate shook her head, she was stressed. "I- I was talking to her and we were watching a movie. She said that she wasn't feeling good, but I didn't think anything of it... and then she got up to get water, and I was talking to her.... a-and then I heard a 'bang' and I got up and sh- she was laying on the floor! I should have listened to her! She told me she wasn't feeling good!"

I tried to calm her down but I couldn't help but cry. "Hey! Its not your fault! And you know that Kate." I hugged her as we consoled each other.

-

-

We sat in anticipation, waiting to hear anything about Alexis. My knees shook. I tried to remember the last thing I said to Alexis. Then I thought of the fact that she didn't finish the list.

What if she was gone? What if tomorrow never comes for her? What could I have said, or done, differently?

I lay my head down in my palms.

Kate did the same. She probably thought the same things that I was thinking too.

I looked over to Kate and put my arm around her.

Alexis' doctor walked out of the room. I tapped Kate to get her attention, then we stood up and walked over to him.

"Alexis. Is she alright?" I asked.

In those few seconds, before his answer, my heart started pumping, almost out of my chest. This was it.

"Alexis, is conscious. She is resting in her room." he answered.

Kate and I both sighed with relief and hugged each other.

The doctor added. "But..."

I let go of Kate and looked at him. "But what?"

He sighed. "She,  is not in good shape. She is going to have to stay here. Its the safest place for her right now and she should be under the care of her physicians."

I nodded. "I understand." But I really didn't.

I closed my eyes, my heart fell. We only had one more thing to check off the list.
One.

The doctor left us and told us to wait a while to visit her, until she wakes up.

Kate and I sat down once again, in the lobby.

Kate looked at me. "I know what you are thinking. But who cares about the list? At least she is alive."

I turned to her. "That's not good enough! All she wanted was to check off that damn list before she got too sick, and all we had was one more thing to do! And now... its too late."

Kate nodded, then looked at me. "What if, its not too late?"

I looked at her, confused. "What do you mean?"

She smiled mischievously. All of a sudden, I knew what she was thinking.

-

-

Me and Kate had waited all night, for Alexis to wake up. She finally did. She was weak, and tired. She had been hooked up to oxygen, to help her breathe. All of the wires and machines attached to her, made me scared. I repressed the feelings and walked in the room as positive as possible.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I said.

She took a deep breathe. "I've been better." And she grinned.

It was crazy to me that she could still smile, at a time like this.

Her grin turned to seriousness quick, and she looked at Kate and I. "It sucks that we couldn't finish the list."

Kate and I looked at each other, and smiled, then we laughed.

"Why are you guys laughing?" Alexis asked.

Kate did her mischievous grin, once again and turned to Alexis. "What if I told you... that we could finish the list?"

Ohhh what do you think they are going to do!?? You'll just have to wait and find out!
TO BE CONTINUED.