Bucket List

I took the paper from her hands. "Alexis." I didn't know what to say. What do you say to your best friend, when she knows she is going to die? "Alexis, you... should be able to live your life, but not just because you think you may die. Do it because you want to have fun. I am not giving up hope that you will pull through. You shouldn't either."

She looked down at the list, then she let herself fall back onto my bed. "Do you remember when you were a kid. And you didn't have a care in the world?"

I laid next to her. "Yup. Everything was so easy."

She looked at me. "That's what I want to feel. I want to feel peace. Jessica, I know you are keeping hope, and I love you for that, but I have to prepare for the worst. Or else I will regret everything I didn't do."

I became emotional. "Okay. I understand. Just, promise me you won't stop fighting."

She smiled and held up her pinky. "I pinky promise."

I laughed and twisted my pinky around hers. "Pinky promise."

Alexis got up.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

She sighed. "I'm going to call Kate."

Oh crap. We never told Kate any of this. She is going to be devastated.

I jumped up and stopped Alexis. "No! Don't tell her the news over the phone. We should tell her in person. Invite her over. I'll make dinner and we will tell her together.

She smiled. "Thanks Jess."

"Not a problem."

When Alexis left the room a read the Bucket List.
•Ride a bull
•Go skydiving
•Stand at the top on a mountain
•Watch a sun set on the beach
•Forgive as much as possible
•Love as much as possible

I began to cry. I had to do everything in  my power to make her happy and the only way she will be that way is if she gets this list checked off.

I wiped away my tears and tucked the list in my dresser.

-

-

The next night, I made dinner and got the table set. Kate finally got to our house. We sat down for dinner. Alexis and I looked at each other then back to Kate.

Kate wasn't the smartest person, but she wasn't totally stupid. She saw the way we looked at her. "Okay. What do you guys need to tell me?"

I looked at Alexis, waiting for her to say it.

Alexis sighed "Okay, you got me. I have something important to tell you... yesterday, Jess and I visited the doctor, and we got answers."

Kate stared at Alexis with big puppy eyes. "Okayyy, and what did the doctor say?"

As Alexis told Kate that she was dying, Kate's heart sank. As did mine when I found out. I knew exactly what Kate was feeling. Kate looked down to her feet. "But, we... we are supposed to be best friends forever."

A tear fell from my face. Alexis hugged Kate, "We will always be friends." then she pulled me in for a group hug. That was our thing... we always group hugged.