Break the Rules

It was the middle of the night. Yeah, Alexis got some rest, but Kate and I didn't sleep at all. We were too determined. We had to finish the list for Alexis.

I woke Alexis up and Kate left the room quietly.

I whispered to Alexis, "Hey, Lex wake up. Its time."

She woke up, a little dazed, but she sat up as I got everything set. We had to bring her oxygen. Which was not a problem, it was portable and was attached to her.

Kate came back, with a wheel chair. We stuck Alexis in the chair and rolled down the empty, quiet hallways of the hospital. The hard part was checking Alexis out. Kate signed for her, but if Alexis' doctor saw us... he would strongly protest.

So we had to leave fast before he came to Alexis' room. We would hopefully have her back in her room before then.

If you didn't catch on yet, we are leaving the hospital, and finishing Alexis' list. We are going to the beach.

The drive was long. I sat in the back with Alexis as Kate drove. I tried making Alexis as comfortable as possible so she could get some rest. She had been really sick, and acting as if she was okay, but she wasn't. Her tan skin was white, and her, once beautiful brown hair, had been gone, her blue eyes were dark and tired. She was going through hell.

I stared at her. I still saw that beautiful girl inside. "Lex?"

She looked up at me. "Yeah?"

I didn't realize I had actually said her name out loud. "Nothing. Just like to hear you answer, when I say your name."

She smiled. "I'll always be hear to listen to you. No matter what. Even when I'm not here, say my name. I'll listen every time."

I smiled and gently leaned on her shoulder. "Pinky promise?"

She laughed. "Yes, I pinky promise."

-

-

We parked right by the sandy beach just as the sun began creeping up.

I ran to the trunk and got out the stuff, basically a blanket.

Kate and I helped Alexis out on to the beach. Right in front of the waves. I lay the blanket down, as Kate ran to the shore.

Alexis surprisingly followed. She was over joyed to be at the beach.

I watched Alexis and Kate while they stood, laughed at the shore.

This, this was the moment... that I didn't want to end. The good times like this. I wish I had a rewind button.

Kate and Alexis came back to the blanket and sat down beside me.

We watched the sun rise up into the clear sky, I hoped it took forever to rise, because once the sun was up, we had to go back to the hospital.

Kate looked at Alexis. "So Lex, why the beach? Why did you want this on your bucket list?"

She smiled. "The water. Its so infinite. And beautiful. As a child, I used to go and just sit on the beach, and watch the water. Wishing my life would be like the ocean. I wanted my life to be infinite and beautiful. My life is beautiful, and it may not be infinite, but I lived it as if it was. So I wanted my last task, to be to stand by the one thing that's here forever, even when I'm not. Something that symbolizes my life perfectly."

A smiled. "That has a lot of meaning, Lex"

She laughed. "I know, I'm just happy that you guys are here. I know I say it a lot, but... I really needed this. I wouldn't have fought this long, if it weren't you guy to help me through the toughest times."

How can you not cry when you hear something like that?

I wiped my tears and said, "We willbe here for you anytime. Just, keep on fighting. You have to stay strong."

She sighed and looked out to the ocean, then smiled. "I'll always fight."

Kate pulled her in and hugged her tight. I joined the hug. Group hug.

-

-

The sun rose up to the sky and it was time to go. Alexis had fallen asleep on the car ride back. Her doctor called. He screamed, but once I told her about the list, he understood. He was just glad that she was okay.

I called Tom. I hadn't talked to him since the night before Alexis got rushed in to the hospital, because I had to hang up when he fell asleep with me on the phone. I told him about Alexis and the list. He was happy to hear it was done and that we had fun. He talked to each of us. Then he said something that scared me.

"I have a surprise for you girls! Its being sent through the mail, I hope you like it!"

I had not idea what it was going to be, and I really didn't know why I was so nervous, it was probably something thoughtful.

We were excited to find out what it was. I told him i would call him later and I ended the call, the last words he said to me was, "I love you forever and always." I don't think I will ever get used to his cute words.

-

-

Alexis was back in her nice safe hospital bed. Kate and I stayed with her.

I took out the bucket list and handed it to Alexis. I crossed out the absolute last thing on the list, the beach. Then she smiled and ripped it in half.

"All done."

  updating tomorrow!!!!! Last 5-6 parts are coming up!!!! thanks for reading!!!