Chapter 10 - Let the games begin

I could literally feel the blood circulating through my veins as the image of Cayce with her arms around Aiden's neck, kept popping into my head. This was it, I was not going to allow another guy to make a fool of me again, I'm done! It serves my right for even thinking about my best friend's brother in that way. Not that she was being much of a best friend right now anyway.

As I pushed through the crowds of people I couldn't help but ask myself, who could I really trust. I mean first Kyle, then Crystal and now Aiden. Maybe, I would just be better off on my own. In fact, that's exactly what I was going to do from now on, look out for number one. No more quiet, little mousy, nice April anymore. Today would mark the last day that anyone would ever treat me like a door mat again!

Suddenly the all too familiar vibration of my cell phone interrupted my thoughts. I slipped it out of my jean's pocket in anger. I wasn't in the mood to hear what anyone had to say right now, especially since all the people that it could possibly be, were annoying me at this very moment in time. So, let me guess Aiden, Crystal, Kyle...Oh, it's Jake. Great. What does he want?

Hey, sorry that I haven't been in contact but my cell's been playing up. Hope we're still on for tomorrow? Crystal gave me your address already. I can pick you up around 7, if that's ok? Thought we could go bowling or something? 

Tomorrow, oh gosh I completely forgot about that and who told Crystal to just go giving out my address! Grrrr. Why was everything making me so damn mad? Usually I wouldn't mind, I would just say thank you but right now, she was at the top of the list of people in my bad books, so thanking her was the last thing on my mind. I'll have to deal with Jake later. To be perfectly honest, I am not in the mood to go anywhere with him and I need time to think of a convincing excuse as to why I can't make it.

I had five minutes left before the bell would go, so I quickly slipped into the girl's restroom to splash my face with a little water and calm down. No sooner did I walk in, I heard the door swing open and slam shut again within seconds. Did people have to make so much noise in the morning?

As I turned to give the person a dirty look for disturbing my moment of peace, my jaw almost fell to the floor.

"What the hell are you doing in here? This is the girl's restroom. Are you crazy?" I shout, whispered.

"Yeah I know but I needed to talk to you," he said. He seemed to have been running from the look of his red cheeks and the slight pant in his voice.

"Aiden, I have nothing left to say to you," I said as I attempted to walk past him and walk out of the door.

"Please," he said as he gently grabbed my arm, preventing me from leaving.

"Just, hear me out".

"What, like you did with me last night. I wanted you to hear me out but instead you drove off and ignored my text this morning, so I have nothing left to say to you," I spat back at him.

"I left my phone at home, I haven't seen your text," he replied in a gentle voice.

"Oh, how convenient," I said as I pulled free of his grasp,  folded my arms across my chest and raised one eyebrow in the air.

"It's true. Look, April, I know that I was a jerk last night and I'm sorry. I should have given you the chance to explain," he said as he stared at me.

"Yes, you should have," I replied.

"Come on, you can't stay mad at me forever, especially since I spent the entire night thinking about you anyway," he said with a smirk on his face.