Chapter 4 - The Party's Over!

"There is nothing left to say Kyle," I said as I walked past him and headed towards the stairs.

"Please," he pleaded as he gently took hold of my arm.

The all too familiar touch, caught me off guard. I'd missed the feeling of his skin touching mine and the memories were still so painful. I gently turned to face him. As I stared into his blue eyes my heart skipped a beat. All I could see was pain when I looked at him and feelings of betrayal. The face that kept me safe now made me feel so insecure. As I watched a piece of his dark hair hanging over his eyes my heart ached, knowing that there was once a time that I would have slid it away, before gently kissing his soft lips. Everything had changed now...

"You have two minutes," I replied as I waited for him to respond.

"I'm so sorry April," he said as he stared into my eyes with a look of pain.

"I've already heard this," I said, feeling rather frustrated.

"I know but every time that I think about what I've done to you...I was just a jerk. I know I can't change what happened but when I seen you tonight with Aiden-"

"So that's what this about," I said, cutting him off.

"Typical. It's all a game to you isn't it? It was ok when you thought that I'd be broken and forever begging you to come back but now that I've actually moved on, you can't take that can you!" I said as a feeling of anger swept over my body.

"It's not like that and you know it, I just don't get what you see in him. Isn't he like your best friends brother or something?"

"And if he is?" I snapped back.

"Look, I didn't come up here to talk about him. I just...April, I miss you and I thought that I knew what I wanted but I didn't. Everything that we had, I just can't forget it. If you can tell me that it means nothing to you then I'll never bother you again," he said.

I paused for a moment. How could I say anything, I would either have to tell the truth or lie and right now, I didn't have the strength to do either.

"Please," he said as he stepped closer to me. As his soft hand met with my cheek, I closed my eyes. I missed that touch so much. He stroked my cheek so gently that I could have almost missed it. I couldn't cope with all of this, it was too much. Being so close to Kyle again was like adding more ingredients to my broken heart. I opened my eyes and moved my mouth to speak but the words just refused to come out.

"April, I still-"

"Kyle!"

It was Rachel's voice. It was as though someone had just thrown a glass of ice cold water in my face and slapped me back to reality.

"I'm sorry-"

"Just go Kyle," I said as I turned my body away from him.

"April-"

"Kyle! What are you doing? How long does it take to go to the toilet! Come on!" Rachel shouted, sounding more frustrated than ever.

"I'm sorry, I've got to go," he said before the sound of his footsteps began to disappear down the stairs.

I stood frozen. I felt a single tear roll down the side of my cheek. I felt my eyes begin to blur as the water raised to the edges of my eyes. I held them back and wiped my cheek with my hand.

I turned around and leaned over the banister. Once I was sure that they were gone I began to make my way down the stairs. I headed for outside, I needed some fresh air so that I could clear my mind. I wasn't ready to face all of Crystal's guests again, not yet.