Crossed Directions - Chapter 13: Styx

ALICE POV

A dirt path extended in front of me; on both sides of the path there were rivers. One river was all pure and crystalline with fish inside and a turquoise color; the other was a brownish-green color with waste and dead fish inside.

 I kept walking forward bare-footed with my wavy dress, looking for the end of the path. No matter how much I walked, it didn’t seem to end. My feet were getting tired when abruptly the path changed. It split into two paths; one path led to the clean river and the other to the dirty river, in front of the point where the two of them divided there was a lake. The lake was nor clean nor dirty. It was a perfect balance of both.

 I decided on turning to the path that led to the clean river, the right one, and walked through there. Thirstiness struck me at some point when I was walking so I got on my knees, and drank some water with my hands. The water tasted delicious, it was warm, refreshing and sweet. I got up and kept walking forward. The path in front of me once again ended abruptly but this time, it turned to the left. I walked through it when I noticed the river changing. It was the dirty river. Thirstiness struck me once again but I didn’t want to drink from that water. The feeling was horrible; I felt my throat all dried up like I had swallowed sand. I looked around me, trying to find some sort of help or liquid to drink. I turned left for the second time and found a figure standing in front of me.

A medium-height man stood in front of me. He was dressed in an orange suit with a green hat and he had red shoes with what looked like a tie on it. Ties on shoes? Who is this man? I was judging his clothing when suddenly I felt someone’s gaze buried deep on me. I looked back to the man and his eyes met mine.

He looked at me with a serious face and then said “Drinking from the calmer waters is allowed as long as you take a sip of the colder, hardest- to- swallow waters. This shall be done in order to maintain the balance of the waters and have the lake flow again.”

After he had said that he looked at me with his purple eyes. What did he mean by that? I should ask him.

He turned around and was walking away when I ran for him. As I reached him, I opened my mouth and began talking.

“What do you mean by that? Are you saying I have to drink from the lake now? Or from the dirty river? Please don’t make me drink from the river. I could get an infection, other than the One Direction infection hehe. Wait why do you keep walking away? I am sorry if I bored you with my blabbering. Please wait sir.”

He turned around slowly and opened his mouth.

His lips moved out of synch with the words that were heard. Also his voice was more high-pitched.

“Omg this so great WE WILL GO OUT WITH ONE DIRECTION AGAIN! ALICE ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING ME? ALICE COME ON WAKEEEEEE UPPPPP IT’S TIME FOR BREAKF….”

I opened my eyes, to find Mary in front of me. As soon as I opened my eyes she got off me and walked out of the bedroom. A quick glance at the clock told me it was eight o’ clock in the morning. I looked at myself, half expecting to see my wavy dress. Instead of the dress, I was just in my pajamas and drenched in cold sweat. That sure was a weird dream. Did it have some meaning? No, it couldn’t. I hope so because someone making me drink from what seemed like Styx river wasn’t a good thing. (A/N: couldn’t help it! I had to mention something from Percy Jackson books.)

“ALICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

Wow I have completely zoned out. I got up and followed the voice.

The sweet smell of bacon filled my nostrils. I looked to the kitchen and was glad when I found Viviane, Mary and Aunt Shelby eating something that looked like bacon sandwich. I need foooood.