Chapter Seven: Emma and Will

A/N: This chapter is kind of divided weirdly since I went back and forth between Will and Emma, just because it made more sense than going straight through with only one point of view. Just watch out for the name in bold, or watch for some idiotic commentary from Will and you're good!

***

Kidnap My Heart 

Chapter 7: Emma and Will 

Emma 

“This grass looks familiar. I think we’ve already passed this,” Taylor announced, glancing up from the phone on her lap.

Two hours ago, I’d thought it was a good thing that smart phones had GPS apps available. This junk car barely had a functional radio, much less GPS. I figured we’d be able to find our way back to civilization fairly quickly if we used one of those apps, but I was dead wrong, and it was all thanks to my daft best friend.

I’d handed the responsibility of managing the GPS over to Taylor since I was the one driving, but I hadn’t realized she had such a bad sense of direction. How would I have known? Before we could drive, we’d had personal drivers that were in charge of getting us wherever we needed to go. After we got our drivers’ licenses, we simply chose cars with handy GPS systems that told you exactly where to turn. Sense of direction had never actually come up. If it had, I would have figured something else out.

Unfortunately, Taylor also happened to be a horrible driver, so letting her take over the wheel wasn’t even an option now that it had turned dark. I valued my life, and my guess was that she did, too, because she didn’t bother offering to drive.

I let out a loud breath through my nostrils, a noise similar to that of an angry bull. “Of course it looks familiar. Take a look around you, Taylor. This is all grass!”

She paused. “That’s true…”

“Just… figure it out…” My patience was running thin. No, it wasn’t running thin; it had already run thin. In fact, it was practically nonexistent. This day—a day that was supposed to be fun and enjoyable—had turned into a nightmare, and it was all thanks to the idiots who’d decided to kidnap us. I didn’t know why they had even attempted it. They were clearly amateurs; they must have known they were doomed to fail right from the start. Looking back, I realized all it took was one look at their car and clothes to see a shred of the reason they’d decided to try this. They were poor. Penniless, practically.

Thank God I had managed to escape. I couldn’t even begin to imagine the living conditions Taylor and I would have been submitted to under those two ogres. I shuddered at the thought of even stepping foot in their house.

Plus, I was pretty sure they hated my guts by this point. Understandably. They would’ve made my life a living hell if they had been given the chance. At least they didn’t appear to be murderers. They didn’t have that dangerous glint in their eyes, not like the last guys that had attempted to grab me. How Jack had managed to save me then but not now would forever remain a mystery.

I was starting to see why my dad was so strict about the surveillance I was to be put under. It was for my own safety. I didn’t understand this before; I mean, just this morning I’d been trying to get rid of Jack. Now that Taylor and I were alone, I just wanted Jack to find us and get us out of this mess. But I had no way of getting a hold of him. The open road gave us good GPS signal, but being stuck in the middle of nowhere ensured the death of Verizon’s signal. In short, we were screwed.

“Okay, try going left,” Taylor suggested, cocking her head at the GPS in confusion. “No, try going right… no, left… er… go straight!”