Chapter Three: Emma

Kidnap My Heart

Chapter 3: Emma

After lunch ended, I dragged Taylor outside and headed towards my car. The concert didn’t start until eight, but we were meeting the band at six. I wanted to have plenty of time to get ready, and it was already past noon. I needed at least three hours to make sure I looked absolutely perfect.

“Emmy, where are we going?” Taylor asked, still letting herself be dragged.

“We’re skipping sixth and seventh period,” I said, ignoring the judgmental look Jack gave me. He’d caught up to us in about five seconds just by lengthening his stride a little. The perks of being six foot five.

“Why? Wait, let me guess! You got us a hot double date for tonight and we need time to get ready?  Oh, my gosh, don’t tell me it’s those cute twins that always visit the guy next door!”

I rolled my eyes. “I never told you to guess. This is why.”

She shot me a grin. “Okay, I’m listening. Tell me!”

“My dad got us last minute VIP tickets to Paramore’s sold out concert tonight.” I smiled smugly, fishing the tickets out of my bag and waving them in front of my face.

Taylor’s eyes widened. “Nuh-uh!”

“Would I lie to you?”

“Actually, you would,” she said, laughing as she climbed into the passenger seat of my car. I was going to protest, but even I had to acknowledge that was true.

Before climbing into the driver’s seat, I looked over at my bodyguard. “Jack, can you drive Taylor’s car over for us? She’s riding with me.” Taylor reached over and handed me her keys, and I threw them over to Jack. His quick reflexes were the only reason they didn’t hit him in the groin; I wasn’t much of an athlete.

“How did your dad get these tickets?” Taylor asked as we drove over to our apartment. “That concert was sold-out way before we even found about it.”

We usually didn’t have any problem getting VIP tickets to concerts, but getting VIP tickets to sold-out concerts was a different matter. “I don’t know,” I said with a shrug. “He’s my dad. He just got them.”

“Is there anything your dad can’t do? Holy crap.” She shook her head. “I’m so excited now! What time does it start?”

“It starts at eight, but we meet the band at six, and it’ll take around an hour to get there, so we should be ready before five.”

“Are you kidding? I’ll be ready by four!”

“Of course you will,” I said, pulling into our designated parking spot over at our apartment building. It was more like a permanent five-star hotel than an apartment building, really. It was located in the nicest part of the city, and the rent was ridiculously high. It was so worth it, though; our apartment was huge and gorgeous.

People always thought it was weird that Taylor and I had our own penthouse apartment, and I guess I saw where they were coming from, but it wasn’t like we never went home. We just stayed at our apartment when our parents didn’t come home or were away on business or something. Our houses were beautiful, huge, and lavishly decorated, sure, but they were downright depressing when they were empty. This apartment may not have been homely, exactly, but at least Taylor and I had each other when we were there.

“I’m going to go take a shower,” I said, setting my bag down on the couch the minute we walked through the door. Looking around, I realized Jack was nowhere to be found. “Where did Jack go?”