Chapter Nine: Will and Emma

A/N: The fact that some of you semi-patiently waited seventeen months for this story to be taken off hold is freaking epic. You guys are the best! So cool to read your comments and I'm excited for this story to continue. It's all mapping out in my head and it's going to be awesome! Anyhoo, enjoy! 

***

Kidnap My Heart

Chapter 9: Will

Obviously, there was something wrong with Emma van der Bilt. That was the only explanation for her disinterest in me. Maybe she really was from a homicidal alien clan and wasn’t allowed to mingle with us humans. Or maybe she had a boyfriend. Or maybe she was just a lesbian.

I mean, what kind of straight, single, human chick would turn me down in favor of spending the night with a bunch of bugs and rats? That wasn’t normal. I was aware that we weren’t on the best of terms, but I was still a better option than that garage. She should’ve given me a chance. The moment she got a taste of what I had to offer her, she wouldn’t ever want to leave my room—or my bed. That was one thing I was completely sure of.

“Ungrateful little shit,” I muttered to myself, pacing back and forth in front of the garage. I felt stupid for even suggesting the idea to her. If I’d known she was going to turn it down so rudely, I would’ve left her there without saying another word. Damn it. She was the one who was locked away; how could she still make me so angry?

I blamed my physical attraction to her for my stupidity. I would’ve actually been willing to forget about everything she’d done to me if it meant getting to admire her body some more in the privacy of my room. Now that she’d turned my generous offer down, there was no way she was ever getting out of that garage.

A loud crashing sound alerted me and distracted me from my thoughts; it had come from the garage. I took a step forward but stopped myself from walking any closer. I wanted to walk in and see what was going on in there, but… No, that was a bad idea. She’d stab me with some hedge cutters the second I opened that door. It was probably just a trick to get me to open the door.

There was an even louder crash about a minute later, followed by a loud banging noise. I was going to ignore the sound at first, but after a minute, the suspense started to drive me nuts. Shit. What if she was going suicidal in there? My brother and I had been told to keep her alive. There was no telling what would happen if she managed to hurt herself in there.  

Oh, damn it all to hell. I ignored the part of me that knew this was a bad idea and pulled my keys out of my pocket, frantically unlocking the door to the garage. What if I was too late? I wouldn’t put anything past this girl.

I ran inside, looking downwards for a limp body. “Are you o—” My words were cut off by the shovel that slammed into my side and knocked me down. Just as I was about to speak, Emma hit me with the shovel again and I shouted, “Ow!”

She kept beating me with the shovel, and then she began to yell. I was glad it was just our midget shovel, but even that thing still hurt like a bitch. “You think leaving girls in your garage to rot is funny?” she shouted. Smack. “You think using sex as leverage is cute?” Smack. “News flash, William: it’s not!”

“I’m sorry!” I cried. I was willing to say pretty much anything by that point if it meant calming her down, even if it was detrimental to my pride. That midget shovel hurt more than I’d thought it would.

I heard her throw the shovel aside and felt her climb on my back, pulling the collar of my t-shirt backwards in an attempt to choke me. If you disregarded the shovel-beating, the bugs and rats, and the smell of the garage, this was just like the dream I’d had the night before, except I wasn’t on my stomach and she wasn’t trying to kill me.