Chapter Five: Emma

Kidnap My Heart 

Chapter Five: Emma 

“Emma, what did you—what did you do?” Taylor shrieked as she craned her neck to see what was behind me, or, I guess, who was behind me, although he didn’t really look like a person; he looked more like a lifeless lump.

I leaned forward and kneeled on the car seat I’d been sitting on before, using a bobby pin to begin working on Taylor’s handcuffs. Freeing her would have been a lot easier if she’d just kept still, but her hands kept moving as she tried to look behind me.

I moved to the left to obstruct her view. I’d meant to act discreetly, but my actions were rarely subtle. “Nothing,” I finally answered, remembering I’d kind of left her hanging. “Taylor, quit moving! We don’t have much time. They could wake up any minute and kill us both.” They seemed a bit too amateur to be serial killers, but you never knew.

“But… did you really just—just knock them out?” she spluttered in disbelief, still trying to look past me. I figured my ending statement would scare her into submission, but I guess not.

“Yes. Now, seriously, quit moving,” I snapped, tugging at her arms. “I’m trying to get these handcuffs off of you before they wake up.”

“Sorry!” Taylor cried, trying her best to remain still. “But…”

“No buts. Stop moving!”

She just grumbled in reply, finally remaining completely still as I finished picking the lock on her handcuffs and set her free. She sprang to action the second she was free, pushing me aside and jumping out the car. She walked over to where our dear kidnapper lay with a horrified look on her face. Well, one of them, anyway. The other was probably still drooling all over himself in the passenger seat of that hideous car.

“Oh, my God,” she cried out.

I sighed and got out of the car. “Yes, I know. He’s unconscious. Whatever. We need to figure out a plan and fast. Our minutes are counted here.”

“How did you… how?” Taylor spluttered, staring at the guy in shock. What did she not get about we need to leave? Jesus Christ.

“What?” I asked.

“Just look at him,” she said, pointing to the still body that lay on the street.

I looked down and saw nothing out of the ordinary. All I saw was our dense kidnapper who mistakenly thought he could outwit me. Rookie mistake. “I’m looking. What about him?”

“What about him?” she repeated incredulously. “He’s huge!” Her voice turned into a loud whisper, and her eyes went wide. “Emma, you just knocked out both of these guys, and you know… they’re not exactly weaklings. They’re tall. And muscly. And scary!”

I looked down at the guy again and started to reevaluate what I was seeing. I guess Taylor was right. This guy was pretty big. His partner was pretty big, too, actually, now that I thought about it. I mean, my self-defense skills were pretty good, but that didn’t change the fact that they were both much bigger than me. I must’ve been doing something right to knock them out. My self-defense teacher needed a raise; that was for sure. That woman was a genius.

Instead of openly agreeing with Taylor, I just shrugged. My mind whirred, quickly going over possible escape plans. I decided I wanted to see their faces before I escaped; I’d need to be able to describe them when I pressed charges. Sure, I’d outwitted them and was going to make a sly retreat very soon, but I still didn’t want those two whack jobs roaming the streets, prowling on other girls.