Epilogue: Emma

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! Life got really busy and drove me crazy for a few weeks, but I finally got around to writing the epilogue. Haven't edited it or even proofread it, so bear with me.

This chapter is in honor of my junior Prom tonight. Enjoy! 

***

Kidnap My Heart

Epilogue: Emma

Two Weeks Later

o   Dress: Check.

o   Shoes: Check.

o   Makeup: Check.

o   Hair: Check.

o   Nails: Check.

o   Jewelry: Check.

o   Boutonniere: Check.

o   Limo: Check.

o   Date: On the way. Almost check.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket to check the time. Will would be here in about five minutes, maybe less. I wanted to be the one who opened the door for him, so I stood up, checked my appearance one last time, and walked towards the door.

I stopped in my tracks when the door opened; it was my mom.  She warily stood in the doorway for a few seconds before walking in. “Hey, Em,” she finally said, clasping her hands together in front of her. She looked impeccable, as usual. Navy-blue suit, flawless makeup, gorgeous shoes, and perfectly wavy hair—and this was at the end of the day.

“Hey,” I said. “I was just about to head down.”

“Is Aaron on his way?” she asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows. “Aaron? I’m not going with Aaron. I thought I told you that last week.” I was 99.9% sure I had told her that last week. The subject of Prom had briefly come up over dinner one day—the day after the cat onesie “incident”— and my mother had assumed I was going with Aaron when she started talking about it.

I had told her I wasn’t going with him, and she had just finished asking me who I was going with when her phone rang. She left the table to take a business call, and the subject didn’t come up again until I tried bringing it back up. My parents oh-so-tastefully avoided the subject the moment it was suggested Will wasn’t someone they would know. Well, they wouldn’t be able to avoid the subject forever because the subject himself was about to arrive, and there was nothing they could do about it.

“You also went to the mall in cat pajamas,” she pointed out. Her face was blank, but I had a feeling it was taking everything she had to keep it that way. “It’s clear you weren’t thinking straight that weekend. Your behavior has been so unlike you these past couple of weeks. I don’t know what’s gotten into you. I know you went through something very difficult, but that doesn’t excuse misbehavior. Aaron would have made a lovely date, and we don’t know anything about this supposed date of yours.”

“You don’t know anything about him because you avoided the subject every time I tried to bring it up,” I pointed out. “I’ve tried to talk to you about it. I’ve tried to explain where I’ve been going after school for the past two weeks and who I asked to Prom, but you’ve completely changed the subject every time. You can’t blame me for that.”

“Well, your father and I assumed you would get the hint and make the right choice, but it seems you haven’t,” she said after briefly hesitating. “You’ve always made the right choice.”

“The right choice?” I asked. “You mean Aaron?”

She shook her head. “You know we like Aaron, but it doesn’t have to be Aaron, necessarily. I understand if you can’t see him as more than a friend. I was in the same position when I was your age. I had a wonderful friend in a boy named Samuel, but that was all he had ever been to me.”