Broken

"Because if I tell you, he'll kill me and you" I whisper in his ear.

He pulls back and looks at me in the face, "I don't understand." Drew says giving me a look of concern. Then, he gets angry. He clenches his jaw and his whole body tenses up. "What did he do to you? He hurt you!" Whoa, he needs to calm down.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore." I say, taking a couple steps back being careful not to hurt my leg. I stop when my leg hits the edge of the bed. "This conversation is over."

"Okay. What else do you want to talk about?" Giving up he sits down on the bed behind him. It suddenly becomes extremely awkward. I mean we just kissed. 

"Uh, I don't know.” My leg wasn't getting any better. Where should I sit? I don't want to be near him. I don't trust myself again to be so close to him. 

Taking matters in my own hand, I sit down on the floor, by the side of his roommate’s bed. I picked a spot where there were no clothes or garbage. 

I look at Drew to see him leaning back relaxed, watching me. 

"How did you hurt your leg? Can you tell me that much?" He asks with a hint of attitude. 

Being me, I ignore his tone, "Hannah and I were climbing down before the party and I hit my ankle funny. I knew I shouldn't have worn these huge heels." Even in the dark I can see his smile. "Has the fire lord Tomato (Toe-ma-ut-oh) or whatever his name is ever attacked the school?" I said deciding to ask him a question of my own.

"It's Fire lord Yomato (Yo-mate-oh) and he hasn't attacked our school specifically. Some say he's planning something, something big. The Elemental Council doesn't believe that he's planning anything. They say he's to scared, but honestly I just think the council is afraid of starting some huge war." 

"What's the council?"

"It's a group of four benders, one from every element. You have to be very wise and a great bender to get chosen to be one of the four. You can be impeached, you can be elected off, you can resign, you could die, they're a lot of ways of getting off the council. It happens all the time."

"Are they all old?" I ask, imagining different old men in each element color.

 "No. The oldest one water, he is 90. Then there's air, he's 35 I believe. Then there's the earth bender, a 28 year old female. The last council member is fire, and he's somewhere around 40. Some believe the fire council member is somehow conspiring with fire lord Yomato." He looks at me as if asking if I had anymore questions. I had tons! He explains it more than how they did in the books.

"What do you think?" It wasn't the most important question on my list, but I wanted to know what he thought.

"I think he is definitely hiding something. Someday you will meet the council, you know. They are at Elemental Headquarters. Everyone eventually goes there."

"Sounds fun." I said sarcastically. He laughed with me or at me I'm not sure. Anyway, aside from the fighting and kissing I was having a good time. 

I yawn louder than I plan. I can see Drew in the darkness giving me a funny look.

"I think it's time to go to bed." Drew states. Even though I wanted to stay up more my whole body disagreed. I felt like I just ran a long marathon, and I've been up for 2 days. I have no idea what time it is, but it seems really late. The moon and stars still shone and there was no hint of a sun so that must mean it's probably around midnight.

As I think hard I feel my thoughts slowly start to drift away and sleep succumb to me. Before I can let myself sleep to far I whisper, "Goodnight Drew."