CHAPTER 2

Maryam's POV

Thursdays are  just not my thing, I hate being cramped up all day in the office, working from 8 to 6.  Today since I was on duty, I didn't go back to sleep after Fajr.

I like waking up before dawn, when the world is quite and at peace, before the chaos. To just wake up and pray Nafl Salah, open my window and just sit down on my prayer mat and enjoy the cool breeze scented with eucalyptus from our garden. That's my favorite time, because then I can think clearly and meditate, plan my day while listening to the recitation of the Qur'an, usually by Sheikh Ahmed Suleiman Kano.

After I finished praying, I took off my hijab because it's strictly for praying. Yes it's that fancy. I wore a wrapper on top of my Princess Belle pyjamas that my Yaya Abdallah bought for me the last time he came back from the Netherlands and I draped a soft pashmina veil before running down.

I met my uncle in his study checking on some papers for his class, I greeted him "Barka da Asuba Baba. (Goodmorning Baba)"

"Good morning dear." he smiled that his lovely smile that crinkled his cheeks and showed me just how much it is time has withered away his age.

"Where's mummy? She's already in the kitchen right?" I asked to which I knew the obvious answer even before he nodded in the positive.

I chuckled as I took his leave and walked through the corridor before skipping down the stairs.

"Mommy Barka da Asuba (Mama goodmorning)" I greeted my aunt immediately I entered into the kitchen.

"Morning, my daughter, how was your night?" she smiled, letting me collect the ladel she was frying the akara with.

"Alhamdulillah, although I am still sleepy." I said while removing the Akara from the hissing oil.

"That's why I told you girls to off the tv and go to bed early but you don't listen to me. That reminds me, have you woken your sister?" 

I quickly turned to run upstairs, "Ya Allah, I've forgotten, let me go and wake her."

Half way up the stairs, I heard Mommy calling out to me,  "Maryam you better hurry before you run late again. You know they have to drop them at school before they drop you off at work."

"Yes Mummy, we'll hurry up." I answered her and ran the rest of the way to my room.

In the room my cousin was still snuggled up in her blanket, I could tell she was really enjoying her sleep and I almost didn't want to wake her up because I know she has slept for roughly 4 hours since we stayed up all night waiting for the new Cinderella movie to show and watching it.

"Ke tashi (Hey, wake up)" I said while pulling her blanket, I could hear her muffled plea for 5 more minutes.

"Please, Yaya just five more minutes." Sajida's drowsy voice slurred.

I know this could go on all day, so I just pulled her blanket and started pushing her down the bed since I'm stronger than her 12 year old scrawny self.

"You have exactly 18 minutes to get your butt to the bathroom, perform ablution, come out and pray, go back and shower, get dressed and come down or else I will tell that boy in your class that you have a crush on everything! And I am not even kidding" I commanded with a proud smirk.

She gasped then quickly ran to the bathroom grumbling something I didn't care to find out. I ignored her and went back downstairs to help Mummy and our house help with breakfast. This had been my routine ever since I have lived here in this house with my aunt and uncle who no doubt are my parents. I preferred to not address them with the mere terms of uncle and aunty because they have far exceeded that status in my life. They were my parents. And my cousins were my brothers and my sisters, no can convince me otherwise.

Her Boyfriend, My HusbandOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara