CHAPTER 56

Zainab's POV

I never knew that such a day will come in my life when I'll find myself in an interrogation room. Never have I even set foot into a police station so the shock I experienced when the police appeared at my door this morning and brought me to such a place was one I couldn't even explain.

Nothing could console me even when the burly looking woman did nothing more than just shout at me and threaten me with all the horrible things she was yet to do to me. My tears ran down my face like a waterfall and I was shouting like the woman possessed the face of death.

Which she did since she told me she was going to kill me if I didn't admit that I was the one who had gotten Maryam kidnapped and I knew where she was. She expected me to confess to something I didn't do and something I had no idea about.

I was confused when this morning when I prepared for work and was about to leave the house, the police appeared at my doorstep and despite all my protests, took me to the station instead.

I was frightened but I maintained a steady face even when I spent the last four hours alone in this room that had nothing but two chairs, a table, and a dangling white fluorescent light that goes out from time to time.

My cool was only broken when this woman came in and started what must be an interrogation on me. I was trembling as she continued to rain down threats and insults on me, I had never felt so petrified and humiliated my whole life and in that moment, I had never felt pure burning hate for anyone like I did for Maryam.

"I-I swear it wasn't me..." I hiccupped, my hands covering my face, "Please I don't know... p-please I don't..."

She gripped my wrists and yanked my hands off my face, causing me to stare right into her eyes that had hardened into emotionless crystals after all the years of ruthless questionings she'd done to criminals. Now, I realise she looked at me as just another criminal she had to break and make confess to all her crimes. I felt disgusted at myself and stripped of all honour and there was no one to blame for this but Maryam.

She was the one that had gone missing but still, I was the one who couldn't live in peace. If I wasn't in such of a situation all because of her, a part of me would have actually been worried about her but now all I felt for her was hate for bringing this misfortune upon me.

The woman brought her big face to only a few inches away from mine, causing me to shriek back in fear. I used my hands to shield myself and kept on begging her.

I knew what to expect; to be struck and rough handled until I break and confess to something I never did. I sobbed into my hands as the woman's screams deafened me and made my blood run cold.

It's in moment like this that I realise I am truly alone. I have no one to rescue me, no one to have my back and no one to care whether it was me or not. My hands were placed to my ears where I wanted to shut off the sound of her angry shouting and send myself to somewhere else but here.

The loud bang as her palm made impact with the surface of the table caused my heart to leap and my breathing to quicken. The woman succeeded in grabbing my attention since my eyes were now widely open and reflecting the dread flooding through me.

She hissed before she gathered the ends of the veil I had wrapped around my hair in her big hands and pulled it off my head. My hair came undone so that even the ribbon keeping it in a bun was carried away with my veil.

"What are you doing?" my voice was filled with horror, my hands going through my hair as if I didn't believe what just happened.

"I will strip you naked until you tell the truth!" she growled, spittle spraying from her clenched teeth.