CHAPTER 5

*I should have mentioned this earlier but thanks to emmyraldempressr for the awesome new cover.*

Maryam's POV

Yusuf's uncles came to meet my father and some elders of my family with the nagani ina so (wedding proposal but literally I see and I like) and fix a date.

My uncle wanted it to be in two months but they asked a favor for the wedding to hold in three weeks on account of Yusuf's father's health and his eagerness to see the last wedding of his children. It was agreed that the wedding will be in three weeks and that was last week now we have two weeks to the wedding.

I have met Yusuf a couple of times and I have come to understand that he is not arrogant, he just has his way of doing things.

He came for the inter-house sports day Sajida invited him. I was hoping he wouldn't show up, but he did which was good since that means he can keep a promise no matter how insignificant and so, he would keep this one we were walking into too.

We were already at the school when he called to ask where we were and to confirm again if I am okay with him coming and I gave him permission telling him he could come.

A few minutes later, he called me to ask which tent I was in. I gave him the directions and he arrived in no time. He was dressed in a polo shirt and a khakhi trousers making it obvious that he was coming from work. I didn't even bother to look at the color of his outfit. We exchanged pleasantries and he asked me where Sajjad and Sajida where then I walked him to where they were.

As we approached the Yellow House tent, I could tell Sajjad was genuinely happy to see him. Yusuf extended his hand to Sajjad.

"How are you? Young Ronaldo"

"I am good and I am Messi, he is better than Ronaldo ai " Sajjad said, getting excited to talk about football. "Barcelona all the way" he added with a grin.

"So we are on the same team then, now go out there and show them what we are made of" Yusuf said high-fiving him.

I was surprised to see Sajjad being free with Yusuf and even holding a conversation. I was glad he didn't insist Yusuf has to support his house: Yellow House.

"You are a fan of Barcelona huhn?" I asked Yusuf as we walked to the Blue house tent where Sajida is.

"Honestly, I don't even know. I don't watch football" he replied as we continued walking with his arms folded at his back and his gaze set straight ahead.

"You don't? What do you watch?" I looked at him surprised. All my brothers watch football in fact I don't know any guy who doesn't.

"I'd rather watch Army Wives"

I stopped in my tracks and stared at him thoroughly stunned and also a bit confused. Army Wives is a kind of typical housewife show then how can someone like him... He seemed to have noticed my shock when he broke out in a light laughter.

"I was joking." he said still chuckling and gestured for us to continue walking. "Yes, I support Barca and you, what team do you support?"

Having recovered from my shock, I confidently replied "Arsenal"

He stopped and looked at me "Really? Why Arsenal?" he seemed quite interested.

"Well because our older brother, Yaya Ibrahim used to bribe us with two hundred naira, my cousin Amina and I if we support Arsenal, plus we had a crush on Henry. So I guess I am still loyal to that." I explained a sly smile on my lips as I remembered those days.