CHAPTER 47

Yusuf's POV

Spending the last five months in Addis Ababa and another five months in Pretoria in training have made me miss a lot of family functions. One of them was my youngest sister, Yusra's wedding and so when I came back to Abuja, she had insisted on arranging an intimate dinner for just me and our two sisters to replace the one I had missed at her wedding reception. Her husband wasn't around and our six other siblings couldn't make it either so it was only going to be a table for four.

I puffed out a sigh as I stood in front of two shiny metal doors and glanced at my watch repeatedly. I wasn't a fan of lifts, I'd prefer climbing up the stairs no matter their numbers rather than standing in a tiny box for God knows how long. I was just uncomfortable in tight spaces and I sometimes wondered if I was claustrophobic. I would have skipped the lift this time too and used the stairs if my sisters weren't in the restaurant eight floors above waiting for me. I was late, very very late so I didn't want them waiting any longer than they already have which meant I had to make do with using the lift.

I pressed the call button for the second time, waiting for the doors to open but they still remained shut two minutes later. I was looking at my watch and praying for my phone not to buzz again with one of my sisters' calls when a lady stood beside me. After greeting each other with a political nod, she too pressed the button, seeming as irritated as I was when it didn't work.

"Seems like it's out of service?" her airy voice asked and her fair face turned to me.

"Yes." I cleared my throat and answered, "I guess we'll have to go for the stairs?"

"Arggghh these damned heels." She gestured to her shoes which I saw had the longest heels I've ever seen but still, her height could only reach my shoulder. "I've got no choice but to wait for the lift."

She smiled a smile that was just as elegant as her dressing was. The material looked silk, a blood red and black combo that screamed sophistication and style and a pony tail of long black hair escaped from the scarf that covered the top of her hair. It was obvious that this young lady dressed to impress but I didn't let my eyes linger on her for too long and I lowered my gaze.

"I should jog up, I have three angry sisters waiting for me." I joked, making my way past her.

"Sure." The lady smiled back and waved as I left.

Eight long laps of stair cases awaited me but it wasn't enough to break my sweat, I arrived at the roof top looking as cool and composed as I had been downstairs. My watch told me it was 9:05 pm, meaning I was over an hour late.

The restaurant was situated at the roof top of the building where the open air gave the ambience of the night a lively spirit. The few stars above glistened and the crescent moon tucked away in the distance shone with a faint light that made it hardly visible.

I had spotted my sisters but they were yet to see me and I was about to walk out into the restaurant space when a jingle sound made me turn to the lift door and see it open up. Out walked the lady that had been waiting for it with me downstairs and upon seeing me, her eyes lightened up just like mine had and she chuckled.

"As you can see, it worked." She said pointing to the lift that I had claimed was out of service.

"Ah I guess I'm the one with the bad luck then."

"No it's not that. I'm guessing 'the angry sisters'," she air quoted, "Must have put you in a haste?"

"Yeah," I smiled, something made me want to indulge her, "And sadly, I've only made the mob even angrier."