Chapter 70

Chapter 70 

Harry sat on a stray boulder facing a fairly large gathering of Centaurs as well as his three Weasley brothers and Eleanor. The facial expressions of the members of the herd were at once respectful and concerned. He had explained, as best he could, what his suspicions had been and what he discovered once he entered the energy flows. While his description was done in his best professorial tones, his audience sat transfixed, although several visibly started when he related the last blast that obliterated the last vestige of Tom Riddle. This reaction was not confined to the four legged denizens of the forest. 

Apparently the outward consequences of his actions had attracted quite a bit of attention. In addition to wrecking the tunnel and dropping most of the ceiling of the forward section of the chamber, the massive discharge of magical energy had reverberated through the entire forest. Every flying creature had taken wing, resulting in a living cloud that hovered over the forest for more than half an hour. The Centaurs reported that a number of large, older trees that were past their prime had toppled, fortunately without causing death or injury. 

It was also related that while the forest had become deathly quiet, the oppressive feeling of malevolent observation had disappeared. The elder stood opposite Harry, his expression serious, but composed. 

"It would appear, Serpent King, that your efforts have had the intended results, although it could be said that there were some unintended consequences," he said. 

Harry offered one of his signature crooked smiles. 

"I'm afraid you're right, Elder, as it usually happens. I'm just relieved to know that no one was hurt. I can only imagine what those at the castle must be thinking about now," he replied. 

Ron laughed and said, 

"Probably something along the lines of 'what the bloody hell is Prof Potter up to now?" 

The humans laughed while there was significant snorting among the Centaurs although several looked shocked. Harry shook his head and said, 

"That's probably the least of what they are saying. Anyway, I apologize for any consternation I may have caused the herd, but at least we seem to be free of the old snake once and for all. Now we just need to figure out what to do with this mess," he said gesturing over his shoulder. 

"Be not concerned, Friend Harry Potter. We will erect a temporary cover to preserve the site from the worst of the weather. That will allow time for a more permanent repair to be planned." 

"Again, my thanks, Honored Elder. The assistance of the herd is much appreciated." 

When Harry and his companions emerged from the forest a while later, he found a number of members of the faculty and student body gathered around Hagrid's hut. They were bundled in cloaks against the Autumn chill. The absence of Professor McGonagall was cause for both relief and concern for Harry. It would postpone whatever dressing down she might give him for disrupting the school but it also indicated that her health wasn't that good. It appeared that Hagrid was heading up the group. 

"Harry, glad I am ta see ya. We was gettin' ready to come in after ya," Hagrid said. 

"Sorry about that, Hagrid. I didn't realize we were going to make all that noise." 

"We?" Ron asked dramatically. 

"Alright, all that noise I made," Harry amended with a laugh. 

"Just what was it you were doing in there, Harry?" Professor Flitwick piped. 

"Well, sir, perhaps this isn't the place to discuss it in full, but I can say that we dealt with the unfriendly presence in the forest rather conclusively and I don't think we'll be seeing any signs of large snakes."