Chapter 41

Chapter 41 

Christmas had been, as usual, a wonderfully chaotic time at the Burrow, with the expanding child count adding to the mayhem. The number of toys was growing geometrically and the adults were learning how to walk with one eye down and the other sweeping ahead. There was a lot of wizards chess played and there was the unusual addition of muggle Christmas music. It seems that Mr. Weasley had acquired an old radio and the means to power it and was having a great deal of fun tuning in stations and messing about with the aerial. Harry had come up with one very interesting present of which to take note. 

He hadn't forgotten about what he and Angelina had been discussing that day at the shop. After some extensive study and discussions with his dad he snuck into the ice cream shop very early Christmas morning and made use of the enlarging spell that had worked so nicely on Arthur Weasley's cars. He added just enough room to allow Angelina the ability to put in a second display case so she could expand the baked goods section of the store. 

During the exchange of gifts he simply gave Angelina a card that suggested she look for her present in the shop the next morning. The following morning, Boxing Day, at the Potter house had been essentially a day of recovery with little in the way of activity other than helping James play with his new acquisitions and some reading. However, around noon, a rather excited Angelina appeared at the front door and when she was let in she made a beeline for Harry and almost strangled him with the hug she gave him. 

She explained that it took nearly two hours before she realized what had taken place. She and George had been looking high and low for a box, or a card, or something that they thought Harry had hidden in the store for them to find. It was George who finally said something on the order of 'doesn't the place look a little different to you?' She said she couldn't stay long but she just had to come out and thank him and then she reached into her robe pocket and handed Harry a small white box and then with a final kiss and hug she was off. The contents of the box lasted all of ten minutes. 

Harry and his immediate family were having a quiet breakfast the following morning. He was half way through his second helping when Kreacher announced that a Miss Luna Lovegood was asking to see Master Harry and Mistress Ginny. Before Harry could answer Ginny was up like a shot and making a mad rush to the front door. Abagail looked at Harry with a raised eyebrow and Harry just shook his head as the sound of enthusiastic greetings could be heard coming from the corridor. He couldn't imagine Luna engaging in the 'happy girl two step' but he was sure after such a long time it was a very energetic greeting. 

It took a few minutes but Ginny and Luna entered the kitchen arm-in-arm and Harry stood up to offer his own greeting. Luna let go of Ginny's arm and hurried forward to wrap him in a tight embrace. She held him there for a few moments as Harry looked at Ginny over Luna's shoulder with a quizzical expression. When she finally let go Luna stepped back and looked at him with an expression different than what he remembered from their school days. There was still that look of dreaminess but it was tempered with more focus, currently directed at him, and layered over a tanned, slightly weathered face. It was obvious that her search had her outdoors for days at a time. 

"It's brilliant having you here, Luna. We've been hoping we'd see you ever since your letter arrived," he said. 

"I've been looking forward to this, too, Harry. I didn't realize how much I missed you all until I got home and started seeing all the familiar sights. It's wonderful to be here." 

"Can we get you anything? Some tea or something to eat?" he asked. 

"Tea, please and thank you," she replied. 

An extra chair materialized, literally, and Luna sat down at the end of the table. Nibs floated a cup and saucer that landed in front of her and Harry poured out. After fixing the tea to her liking, Luna looked around the table and said,