Chapter 21

Chapter 21 

"Alright everyone, you've had a couple of weeks to work on your projects. Anyone having any issues or second thoughts about what they've chosen to do?" Harry asked his seventh year Applied Magic class. 

"Sir, as you may recall, my project is to do a critical analysis of charms, potions and spells to try and determine what, if any, line or demarcation clearly separates the dark arts from the rest of magic. I've found plenty of material on the many different spells and so on, but I'm searching for a really definitive explanation of what exactly a dark art is. When does a spell or potion become dark?" the Ravenclaw witch asked. 

"That is a very, very good question," Harry replied. "I've done a great deal of reading about magic since I graduated and I've come across that question and subsequent discussions a number of times. I can point you to some references that may help you. What I can say is that you may wind up establishing your own definition as part of the project. Some have said that a dark art is one that compels a person to do something against their will. Others suggest there must be an underlying evil intent." 

"But sir, that could apply to any spell. If my intent is to take someone captive for some evil purpose 'expelliarmus' or 'incarcerous' would be considered dark arts," she said, sounded a bit exasperated. 

"Just so. Professor Weasley has a three volume set of books that purports to list every dark spell, curse, potion and creature know to wizardom. Ask him if you can get access to it. Mention I suggested it. Since I gave it to him for Christmas a few years ago that should help," he said with a smile. "It might help you frame the problem a little better." 

"Thank you, sir. Sir, if I could as you one more question?" 

"Of course." 

"Do you believe the dark arts are real?" she asked. 

Harry looked down at the witch and then at the other students. He settled himself a bit on his stool and then said, 

"I believe that evil deeds certainly take place. I believe that magic is worked every day for purposes that are based on greed, revenge, and just plain ill intent. What I don't believe is that there is good magic over here," he said holding up one hand palm upward, "and evil magic over here," holding up the other hand in similar fashion. "The evil that we often associate with dark magic begins here," he said, holding his hand over his heart. "Magic is like any other natural element. It exists in nature and some few of us are lucky enough to have the ability to make it work for us. We choose what we want it to do and the affect it is to have. It is true that some spells will only work well when used with evil intent but who created the spell to do that? Us. I believe that the evil originates with us, which is a pretty dismal idea I grant you, but happily it also means that it can also stop with us. We make the choice so we can choose not to use it," he finished, sitting back on his stool. 

The young witch appeared very thoughtful and looked at Harry, then nodded and said, 

"Thank you, Professor." 

The questions from the rest of the class did not result in anything quite so deep, but were just as important to students wishing to do well. The threesome that was intent on examining Harry's formative episodes indicated they were wrestling with a conundrum. It was how to present an honest appraisal of his efforts and conclusions without seeming sycophantic on the one hand or unduly harsh on the other. Harry had a simple one word answer. 

"Honesty," he said. 

"Sir?" the spokeswitch asked. 

"Just be honest. Present your case with facts and thoughtful, honest analysis. Let that speak for itself. Don't try to get fancy, or worse, self censor yourself because you think I might be upset with your conclusions. You've taken a bold step with this project and if done right you may even teach me some things."