Chapter 46

Chapter 46 

Harry stood along the lower railing of the Hogwarts Quidditch stadium watching a brief practice match. He was observing the performance of the two seekers and would later give them an analysis on how well they did, or did not do. Nearby were other coaches doing likewise for the fliers who shared their specialties. Two days had passed since his meeting with the Reverend Armbruster and several consequences had come to pass. 

A news report had surfaced questioning the whereabouts of the firebrand cleric, noting he had been a no-show at a planned rally the day before. Secondly a message had arrived late the day before from the Ministry. Harry had notified Milligan about the meeting and the likelihood of needing to follow the Reverend for a time. Milligan had replied that they had had the cleric under observation for some time, that his visit had been noted and also that within an hour of his leaving the minister had been seen hastily leaving the church with two small pieces of luggage. 

The second message he had received the previous evening was from the Minister of Magic himself. In polite language that had thanked him for his concern for the magical community, it was suggested that he refrain from taking unilateral action in the future and would he be so kind as to discuss any such issues with the Minister beforehand. Harry had to admit he probably would have reacted in the same fashion when he was still the chief if someone had done the same thing. 

He had discussed what had happened in the little church office with Ginny when he got back home. It was obvious that she was happy the man had been dealt with, and without kid gloves, but she was also concerned about Harry, considering his previous issues with anger directed at threats to family and friends. While not particularly apologetic for the actions he had taken he understood that there were problems associated with his tactics. 

For the time being he was prepared to shrug them off and concentrate on the tasks at hand. He was developing a not inconsiderable list of things to discuss with the two seekers, both good and not-so-good. It was going to make for an interesting study in opposites. When the match was concluded, the observing coaches made their way back down to the field. A set of chairs had been arranged, one for Harry facing two for the seekers. The two, a witch and a wizard, both of whom Harry knew as soon to be sixth years, walked over and sat down. 

"Okay, before we start, do either of you have anything you'd like to say?" Harry asked. 

"Um," the young wizard began, "I think we did pretty well, sir. The snitch never disappeared on us. I think with a little more time one of us would have gotten it." 

"Would you agree, Miss Wetton?" 

"Maybe, but I think it might have taken a while." 

"Okay, the bad news first. From what I saw one of you would have been up there all day and the other would most likely have been carried off the field," Harry said, noting the looks of surprise on the two faces. "Miss Wetton, I realize you've only been flying seeker for a year, but you're just too timid up there. You do a fine job of keeping the snitch in sight but you just aren't aggressive enough to take the next step to capture it. Are you having some sort of problem up there?" 

The young witch looked away from Harry for a moment and then back. Trying to maintain eye contact she said, 

"I don't want to be doing it, sir." 

"You don't want to be here?" Harry asked. 

"Not that, sir. I don't want to be flying as a seeker," she said, blushing a bit. 

"What position would you rather be flying and why aren't you?" he asked. 

"I'd rather be flying keeper, sir, but my dad was a really good seeker in his time and he wants me to be one, too."