Chapter63

Chapter 63 

Harry sat in the reasonably comfortable chair in the waiting room of Dr. Angus McLeod's office and next to him was the very nervous Lavender Brown. The trip to St. Mungo's had produced nothing that would help with her damaged hip beyond the plant extract that Harry had already provided. As a result Harry made contact with the specialist's surgical assistant, who was the muggle sister of a wizard. She assured Harry that Lavender would be handled with great care. As Harry looked over at his comrade he saw she was looking out the window at the car park, her hands slowly kneading each other in her lap. 

"Are you alright, Lavender?" Harry asked. 

"Not really, Harry. If this doesn't work out, I'm stuck with this," she said making a vague gesture toward herself. "I'm about as anxious as I can be." 

Harry reached over and gave her clasped hands a squeeze and offered a bit of a smile. 

"Have a little faith, Lavender. Dr. McLeod's the best. He should be able to do something, I'm sure," he said, his voice carrying more assurance than he actually felt. 

Harry was concerned that he had given Lavender more hope than he could actually deliver but as Lavender was radiating enough anxiety for the both of them, Harry knew he had to offer her all the strength she would take. He squeezed her hand again just as the surgical assistant opened the door and said, 

"Miss Brown, the doctor is ready for you. If you'd come this way?" 

Lavender looked at Harry with a brittle little smile and said, 

"Here we go. Walk me in, please?" 

"Of course," Harry said, as he stood and offered her a hand up. 

She looked at his hand and with a little shrug took it. With Harry at her side, she followed Amanda Williamson down the corridor to the examining room. When they reached the door Harry released her hand and said, 

"This is as far as I go. I need to go down to the car for a few minutes." 

"Alright, Harry," Lavender said taking a deep breath. 

When Ms. Williamson gave Harry a quizzical glance, he leaned in and said in a whisper, 

"Too much magic around muggle electronics causes problems. One of us is no issue but two might be a problem. I wouldn't want to risk it." 

"My brother never mentioned that. Alright, we'll see you when we're done," she replied quietly and then in a louder voice, "if you'd come this way." 

With a last smile of encouragement, Harry left the two women and walked out through the waiting room. He took the lift down to the lobby and went out to sit in his car. He had brought a book with him and he settled into the well cushioned seat and began to read. After a number of chapters he got that little prickle that told him someone was watching him and he looked around and then up and saw Ms. Williamson looking down from the waiting room window who, when they made eye contact, beckoned to him to return. 

Harry left the car and hurried back to the lift and up to the Doctor's suite. Ms. Williamson met him and led him to Dr. McLeod's private office. When he walked in he could see Lavender sitting in a chair across the desk from the doctor. Dr. McLeod stood up and came around to shake Harry's hand. 

"Mr. Potter, it's a pleasure to see you again, and looking so well. It doesn't appear that the knee is giving you any trouble." 

"No, sir. I feel it occasionally if the weather turns to rain, otherwise it's pretty much good as new. That's why I recommended you to my friend, Lavender," Harry replied.