Chapter 48

Chapter 48 

Harry was sitting at his usual spot at the junior end of the Gryffindor table. A pair of young wizards were nearby, playing a game of wizards chess. As he was looking through some homework papers that sixth sense of his let him know someone was approaching. He looked up to see the young Mr. Erikson walking towards him. 

"Um, sir, do you have a moment?" 

"Of course, Mr. Erikson. Please have a seat. What can I do for you?" 

"Well, sir, I have a question about what happened the other morning. You know, the trouble I was having with that transfiguration," the boy said. 

"As I understood it you were tired and were having trouble concentrating," Harry said. 

The boy nodded, then asked, 

"How is it done, sir? How do you work magic like that when you're tired and beat up?" 

"That's a very good question, Mr. Erikson. Training and experience are a big part of it. If you're at a point where certain things become almost automatic it takes less concentration to make it happen. It can also be a matter of how much natural ability you have. But in the end it's really a matter of your physical and mental toughness. Again, that's something you can build up over time. May I ask why the interest in this?" 

"I want to be an Auror, Professor. I've been reading as much as I can about it. Plus all the stuff that's been written about what you've done. When I had those problems the other day it made me wonder about how you deal with that sort of thing," the young wizard said. 

"The training you'd get and the experience you'd gain as a Patroller would certainly help. But once you get to the advanced levels of DADA, that is the sixth and seventh years, Professor Weasley does do a lot of work in that area," Harry said. "And of course there would be the very advanced training you'd get if you were accepted into the Aurors. For now, concentrate on learning your charms and wand work. Get to the point where it is all second nature and you'll be well on your way. There's no substitute for a lot of hard work." 

"Yes, sir. I'll do that. Thank you." 

"You're welcome, Mr. Erikson. Oh, by the way. Would you mind if I asked you a question or two about the dream you mentioned?" 

"No, sir. Go right ahead," the youngster replied. 

"Do you often have trouble with dreams disturbing your sleep?" Harry asked. 

"Not often, sir. Usually, I have dreams like anyone else. I wake up and sort of remember them but not too well. But every once in a while I'll have one that's very detailed and when I wake up I can remember it very well. But it takes a lot out of me. It's almost like I didn't sleep at all," the boy explained. 

"And that's what happened the other day?" Harry asked. 

"Yes, sir. It was like I was watching a great big dark colored dragon flying over the forest. It looked like it was searching for something. You know, flying back and forth and at different heights. And it was odd because it was like I've seen that dragon before." 

"Have you ever seen a dragon before? A real one, I mean," Harry prompted. 

"Just the one that we all see...that's it," the boy exclaimed. "It looked just like the one that comes here at Halloween. I knew it looked familiar," Erikson said. 

"Do you think that's what triggered the dream? Were you thinking about Halloween coming up?" 

The boy shook his head. 

"No, sir, I wouldn't think so. I don't give it much thought." 

"Alright. Is there anything else about your dream that you think was interesting or unusual?" Harry asked.