Chapter 2

Chapter 2 

A loud grumble from the vicinity of Harry's midsection announced his arrival at his place at the faculty table in the Great Hall. 

"And good morning to you, Harry," Bill Weasley laughed as he watched his brother-in-law sit down. "I would have thought you'd catch breakfast at home this morning." 

"Normally I would, Bill," Harry said with an embarrassed smile. "But I thought this was the best way to get to talk to you this morning. Did those four first years come to see you?" 

"Yes, they did," Bill said more seriously. "We had a very pointed discussion and they'll be spending some time over the next few weeks getting their hands dirty around the place. I also took some extra time with Derek Creevey. The last thing we want or need is some sort of feud developing between him and the boy from Slytherin." 

"Dickerson, yes. I had my own talk with him after the incident and gave him some reading to do to try and acquaint him with the facts of the recent past. His ignorance bothers me. I can understand his father having those views, being a muggle and living out of the country for so long, but you'd think the boy's mother would have some clue," Harry said. 

"It's hard to say, Harry. For some people it's out of sight, out of mind. And for others what they know or think isn't said. She may not have the inclination or freedom to talk about such things," Bill offered. 

"Hmm, maybe. I guess I'm so used to being around women who have no problem telling us what they think I hadn't considered that," Harry said. 

"I wouldn't worry about it too much, Harry. I'm sure that with what you've got him reading and a little more discussion you'll have him sorted out shortly." 

Harry just nodded and then looked out over the student body catching sight of both Creevey and Dickerson and wondered if this was what happened in the past. Some terrible event occurs and those that lived through it will remember it always but those that only hear about it or learn about it in school don't take it as seriously and over time the memories fade and that opens the door for it to happen again. As an educator he found this disturbing. 

Fortunately the rest of the week passed more or less quietly. During the next class with his first year DADA class, Dickerson sat in his spot, his face thoughtful. Creevey and the other Gryffindors showed no overt hostility but there were the occasional glances in the young Slytherin's direction. Even the delayed walk through the memorial park failed to create any issues. On Thursday night, as was his habit when he spent evenings at the school, Harry was seated near the first year end of the Gryffindor table going over some papers when he felt eyes on him. He looked up to see young Dickerson looking at him from the Slytherin table. Harry regarded him, the tilt of his head and the expression on his face offering the boy an invitation. After a few moments the boy rose from the bench and slowly walked over and came to stand in front of Harry. 

"How are you getting on, Mr. Dickerson?" 

"Alright, I suppose, sir. No more trouble if that's what you mean," the boy replied. 

"That's good to hear, but it's only part of what I meant. Have you had the chance to do any of the reading I suggested?" 

"Yes, sir. I've made a start on it. There's a lot there and some of it is hard to understand." 

Harry gestured for the boy to sit across from him, which he did. 

"Maybe I can help you. What are you having problems understanding?" Harry asked. 

"Well, sir, I guess even though my mum's a witch I don't really know a lot about the magical world. My dad didn't like to talk about it much. The only time I ever heard about it was if he wasn't around. Sometimes some of mum's family would visit and I'd hear things but no one ever told me directly about it. I think maybe dad was hoping it wouldn't happen to me, but some things started to occur and I guess it became clear I was going to be a wizard. The only reason he agreed to send me to a wizard school was so I'd learn to control it and not, as he said, do something stupid to embarrass the family."