Chapter 43

*Lyla's P.O.V.*

I wake up the next morning, head pounding.

I lift up my fingers to press my temples, and a streak of pain bursts through my brain.

"You okay?" I hear Daniel's voice and the ruffling of a plastic bag.

"Yeah." I mumble, "My head hurts."

"We'll get it checked out this morning. Get ready, take a shower and I'll order breakfast." He says, taking my hand.

I nod, and let him show me the way to the bathroom.

"Here." Daniel shoves a towel towards me, and i honestly don't know what i would do without him.

The shower only takes me ten minutes, and i walk out to the smell of pancakes.

"Mmmmm pancakes." I smile, breathing in.

"Actually Lyla, they're waffles." Daniel laughs, "Get to know your smells." Daniel teases.

"Jeez." I say jokingly.

He leads me by my arm, and i sit down on a soft chair. Maybe a couch even.

"This is good." We eat our waffles in silence.

"I loaded it up with syrup, strawberries, and whipped cream." Daniel pats my arm, "I know how you like your sweets."

I nod, smiling. He still remembers.

"Are we going?" I throw my fork aside and it clatters to the carpeted floor.

"Shit." I swear, and blindly search the floor.

"I got it." Daniel sweeps in a meter away from me, and picks it up.

"All of this... its inconvenient." I say getting up.

"Well we'll just have to fix that. You ready to go?" He holds my hand again, and leads me to my jacket.

"Thanks for everything." I smile.

"Yeah." He says. "You know I'm always here."

I nod, then awkwardly open the door. As we pass by the lobby, that same chirpy voice greets me. The receptionist in the lobby.

"Hey!" I picture her literally bouncing. That's how she sounds.

Her voice makes my head pound harder.

"Hey." Daniel says.

"Where ya goin?" She asks.

Is she always this happy?

Daniel doesn't say anything, and I'm glad.

"We're going out." He sounds like he's shrugging.

"Okay then! Have a safe trip!" She says just as enthusiastic.

I walk with Daniel out to the cab driver, and i hear him chuckle softly.

"She's quite the sunshine girl, is she?" I ask.

"Yeah. She looks the part too. Orange curly hair, freckles, bright eyes." He sighs.

"Looks like somebody's got a crush!" I nudge him, laughing.

"No." He sounds serious, "She's a very beautiful girl, but I'm kinda not over you yet." He says.

My cheeks heat up, and I look down.

"Don't say that, Dan." I say softly.

"It's true." He insists.

I turn my attention away from our conversation, and take out my phone. I can't see anything, but it's voice command.