Chapter 39

*Lyla's P.O.V.*

I'm at home, listening to the game. My dad is describing the lines for me. I've FINALLY been released from the hospital.

"There's Patrick." He says, "Oh! He missed the pass!" I picture him throwing his arms up in frustration.

"Hold up..." my dad continues, unaware of my confusion. I can't even watch a hockey game anymore.

"Is he crying?"

I snap my attention back to the game.

"What? Who's crying?" I ask worried.

"Patrick... what the heck?" My dad's voice turns from disappointment to confusion.

"Patrick?" I want so badly to see what's going on, but all i can hear is the play by play announcer.

"He looks so frustrated, Lyles." Dad sighs, turning off the TV.

"Dad!" I protest, "It's not over yet!"

"It is." My dad tells me.

"Oh." I say.

I didn't even know the game was over.

"You turned it off too early. There's no way I could've heard the horn." I say.

"I know." Dad sounds guilty, and I don't blame him for it.

I hate being able not to see. I don't know what's going on.

"Hey Lyla? Laura's coming over." He says.

"Why? Is she with Sam?" I ask.

"No. She wants to talk to you." My dad's voice grows distant, and I know he's walking away.

There's a knock.

I make my way over to the door, with my hands outstretched.

I open the door, and step aside.

"Hi!" Laura's cheerful voice floats through the suite.

"Hey Laura."

She takes ahold of my arm, leading me to my room.

She pats something, and i sit. I'm on my bed.

"How are you doing at home?" She asks.

"Good." I shrug.

"You saw Patrick today, didn't you." She says. "I mean on the TV."

"Yeah. Dad said he was crying. I need him Laura, you don't understand. He's my everything. Without him, i feel like... there's no reason to live anymore. You don't know how fucking hard it is to be blind! I haven't got a clue what's going on half the time. Sometimes... i would rather die than be blind." I start crying, but tears don't fall. I'm just making these weird choking noises.

"Oh my gosh, Lyla." Laura says hushed. "Don't you fucking dare. You will not die. You will go to Dublin, get better, and come back. I know you're leaving tomorrow. Patrick will be back in time, i promise! Listen to me, baby girl. You will not take your life, you understand?"

I can't. I can't be without Patrick. I feel helpless, a girl depending on him. But I'm in love.

I can't see the person I'm in love with.

I can't see his curls,

His blue eyes,

His face.

I want so much to feel his arms wrapped around me, to just see.

"I don't think i can handle this anymore," i whisper. "There's only so much a person can handle." I say. "Do you understand what I've gone through? From my mother's death at birth, to the constant bullying from Sam. And then the drunkard in the alley. And now I'm blind. I'm blind for God's sake." 

"I know, sweetie. Please promise me you won't hurt yourself. Promise me you'll come back quick. You'll be wonderful, i promise you." She hugs me, and i stay limp in her arms.

"Don't say promise." I say.

"You're right. I don't promise you. I know that you will, okay?" She pats my hair.

I shake my head, but i know i won't try anything. I love Patrick too much to leave forever.

I don't say anything, and my mind travels to tomorrow. I'm going to be gone for at least two months.