The Bad News

No arrival. No letters. No messages. No Chief. Aiyana glanced out the window in her chambers as she had done everyday this  past week. She was entering her suppose be lat week of her trip to England, yet her father hadn't returned. No word from him or their men to prepare for his arrival and their people's leave from England. Everyday she spent away from her Father, the more worried she grew. He never left her behind in an unknown place for so long without contacting her. 

King Henry was accompanied by her remaining soldiers as he made his way into her chambers. She rose from her seat to curtsey to her host, whom she grew to trust over her short time in his court. He appeared stressed to tell her whatever it was he came to say. That was her sign something was wrong. Next she realized her men no longer wore their clan wardrobe, instead they dressed in the English. Henry followed the girl's eyes to the warrior's armor, then back to her curious expression. "Your men have joined my army, Aiyana." He stated flatly. 

Aiyana was still confused, "Are you to join my Father in some kind of fight? Is that why he hasn't written me? There is another war you must fight?" Aiyana presumed, trying to keep her tears in her eyes as the second thought began to appear in her mind. "Because he is alright. He will fight, then return? Right? Right?" She continued as she saw no one was attempting to agree to her statement. 

Her men, King Henry's men now, remained silent as their new general stepped forward. "I am sorry. He was a good man and deserved a better death. His ship sunk after being shot down by a Spanish fleet's cannon. They traveled onto Spanish territory and stole goods, in retaliation the captain ordered it to be shot down. I was informed yesterday," King Henry admitted. Aiyana sank to the floor.

Where was she to go. Her home was never a solid kingdom, they were always moving. She had no other relatives to take her in. Her eyes shot up to the King and his men, "What is to become of me?" King Henry sighed, "Your royal status as a viking status holds no actual value in our society. Since you do not hold any actual title you will be referred to as Mistress Aiyana. You will remain in England as my ward. You will be given a reasonable allowance and when the times comes a dowry." Aiyana could not believe what she was hearing, "That's it then, I will become a pawn for you makes alliances, like any other English woman in this court?" 

Henry was expecting her to praise him for his generosity. "I could put you on the streets of England, and leave you to fend for yourself." Aiyana glared at the arrogant King. "Oh no, forgive my arrogance," she fake plead. Henry rolled his eyes. "Fine then you do not wish to accept my charity, then I will hand you over to my wife's service. She could find something for you to do for your remaining days here in court," Henry changed his decree. 

The soldiers moved to protect their mistress. "Your majesty, I believe you are confused. You see my father's death does not signify the ending of my people. It signifies the beginning of my reign in his place. I will not remain in this palace any longer," Aiyana laughed as she rose from her spot on the ground. "My father never needed your business before meeting you, I won't need it to continue his discoveries. I will take this day as my leave or you will meet your end in this room," She finished. And as the words left her mouth the her warriors drew their swords, prepared to defend her. 

King Henry stepped aside, smirking. "You may leave. You were always free to leave at any point. But know this once you leave this palace, you are not welcome back. My business with your kind is suspended." 

"Ha, is that suppose to make me feel some kind of way? I thank you for your hospitality, but it time my departure." Aiyana gave her farewell as she left her chambers surrounded by her men. English soldiers began to row off on each side of them as Aiyana made her way to the palace gates. They were out without minutes as everyone moved aside. Aiyana looked back at the palace gates as they began to close behind her. She saw the prince standing beside his Father, and his facial expression said it all. he was heartbroken. 

Aiyana felt a tug inside herself as her feet began to walk back. her men appeared confused as she made a run for the still closing palace gates. She reached them just in time to run back past the gates, but her men were still outside, confused at the turn of events. Aiyana's eyes went to them then back to the prince, who came forward to meet her in the middle. 

And she realized she couldn't leave. He had something she couldn't leave without. The Prince of Wales had her heart.