107 | medical breakthrough

Miyoshi, it's been more than two months. How much longer until you come home? I miss you.

::

It's been that long? I almost didn't notice. I might be home soon, though. Thanks to Zanko, I may have just found a way to cure this disease for good. We're going to trial it today. If all goes well, I'll be home by the end of the week. Can't wait to see you again.

::

Lord Hokage,

It is with great pleasure that I announce we've reached a breakthrough in our studies of this mysterious disease. It seems to be an acidic ionic solution - the Mist medic was able to convert it into a liquid, which allowed me to see all its different components and blending ratios. We're trialling the first cure solution today. If all goes well, I'll be home soon.

Miyoshi

::

Miyoshi,

I'm glad that you've come close to the end. Even if the first cure doesn't work, I have confidence that you can adapt and overcome. I can think of many people who will be glad to see you return.

Hiruzen Sarutobi, Third Hokage

::

Hurry, love.

::

I cradled Kakashi's latest note in my hand. Who knew two little words would have such an effect on me?

"What goes on, Little Leaf?" Yokina asked, dumping her bag on the bed, having just returned from her quarantine shift.

"He called me love." I showed her the note.

Yokina whistled. "Damn, you seriously scored with him. He's a sexy one."

"How do you know?" I frowned. "You've never seen him in your life."

"I can tell from his handwriting," Yokina replied. "Any chance we could share?"

"Absolutely not." I snatched the note back and placed it in the desk drawer with the others. "And I don't see how you can tell anything about his looks from his handwriting."

"He has sexy handwriting." Yokina shrugged. "Sexy guys have sexy writing."

I shook my head. "That has no logic to it."

"It so does," Yokina argued. "Are you saying your boyfriend is not sexy?"

"No!" I said defensively, cheeks burning red. "I mean - yeah, he is, but - that's none of your business anyway!"

Yokina laughed. "Well? Are you any closer to curing the incurable disease?"

"Actually, yes." I picked up a small vial of liquid is compromised of various healing plants and alkali substances that had been mixed together. "Unfortunately, alkali metals are famously very reactive, so I haven't been able to use any in case it goes badly for the patient. The alkali I did put in here might not be strong enough."

"It's better than what anyone else has." Yokina sighed. "As much as I love you guys, I want to go back home soon."

"Me too," I agreed. "Can you believe it's been more than two months?"

"Has it?" Yokina gaped.

"Yeah. Kakashi's been reminding me at regular intervals how long I've been away from home."

Yokina sighed. "I wish I had guy like him. He obviously really cares about you, and I've never met the dude."

"Well, I should get going," I said. "I'm supposed to be with Zanko on my shift, so maybe we'll be able to cure this once and for all."