36 | mother's daughter

This is supposed to be half Miyoshi and half Izame, it actually looks passable if you cover one half at a time.

Another ANBU collapsed to the ground. I unsheathed my blades and traced their tips along the ground, feeling the chakra in the forest around us. The enemy was doing a pretty good job of remaining undetected, but occasionally I felt a disturbance as he jumped onto branches and sprang off the floor.

A dark blade swung at Itachi's back, but the young Uchiha dodged it as easily as if he'd seen it coming already. When he spun around to block the incoming blow, I saw that his Sharingan was activated, making his usually dark eyes glow bright red. He tried to pin the blade between his hands, and succeeded for a moment. I caught a glimpse of our attacker before he yanked the blade from Itachi's hands; I was right about its triangular shape, which made it difficult to hold.

As the enemy swung his blade around to hit an unsuspecting ANBU in the back, I pulled a long, thick vine from the ground and coiled it around his waist. At the same time, long planks of wood exploded from the ground and incapacitated the blade. I met Tenzō's eyes and nodded slightly in acknowledgement. He smiled a little before turning his attention back to our enemy.

He was tall and dark skinned, with jet black hair. True to the stories that Bushy-beard and his friends had told us, he was wearing a long, black cloak that concealed the rest of his body from view. The blade appeared to be made from obsidian, and it was quite a lot bigger than I had first guessed.

"Impressive," he said, and his voice was low and smooth, somehow quiet and calming. If not for the blade in his hand, I wouldn't have guessed him to be the type to kill.

"You are Kokuyōseki?" Kakashi asked.

"If I am?" The man responded casually. His gaze flickered to look at Kakashi, regarding him as normally as if he wasn't being suspended in midair by a vine.

"You die," Kakashi responded coolly. I got the feeling that he was rather enjoying this game.

"I wonder about that," Kokuyōseki said, then suddenly he vanished. Taken aback, I began to search around the plant chakra to try and find him. I couldn't sense anything, but a moment later, three clones appeared in midair.

The team was now fully prepared for battle, so they were ready to meet the clones, and we engaged in battle. I found myself fighting a clone beside Kakashi, and I had a vague sense of the others fighting the rest of them together.

The black blade swung at Kakashi's back, and I intercepted it with my two blades. Kakashi used the opening to dart around me and punch Kokuyōseki in the gut. The dark man recovered quickly and went low, swinging his sword in a circle right at the level of my feet. I used Kakashi's back as a springboard as he jumped to launch myself into the air.

Dog...Horse...Bird...

"Wind style, breakthrough!" I expelled a forceful gust of wind from my mouth, pinning Kokuyōseki to the ground. Kakashi charged in with his Chidori blazing, but the clone vanished again.

With the strength of my jutsu no longer keeping me up, I dropped back to the ground and landed gracefully on the balls of my feet. Kakashi was on the defensive again, gripping his own sword. Glancing around, I noticed that the other clones had disappeared too, but one of them had succeeded in felling another ANBU.

"Who do we have here?"

Suddenly my hands were pinned behind my back, and the obsidian blade was dangerously close to my neck. I couldn't see him, because he was behind me.

"You remind me of someone," he said, and I was rather uncomfortable by how close he was to my ear. I saw Kakashi running at him through my peripheral vision, but a clone stopped him and pinned him back. I couldn't see many of the others, but Tenzō and another whose name I didn't know were being held back the same way.