44. Picnics

N I A L L

“No way, Tony!” I laughed, reaching out for the back of his shirt before he could get off the leaf covered ground. Mary insisted that we do one last thing together before we are officially married in one week. So we packed a small basket, grabbed blanket and a few pumpkins and headed to the park.

As soon as we hit the general area, Tony was nearly jumping out of the car to run to the nearest tree by the small river. The same place Mary and I had been a few weeks ago. Mary had to pull on the back of his shirt so he didn’t jump out of the car door before it stopped. As soon as his little but hit the leaves and grass, he crossed his legs with his pumpkin right in front of him.

“Tony get back here! This wrestling match is not over buddy!” He giggled, running back towards Mary who was still seated on the blanket a few feet away with her eyes on us and a smile on her lips.

“Mary! Save me.” He quickly wrapped his arms around her, nearly making her fall backwards into the grass. Giggles came from both of them and I couldn't help but smile.

“Take it easy on Mary, Tony. Don’t want her to get hurt before our wedding now do we?” I approached the spot, plopping down on the blanket beside Mary. I pulled her close to give a cheek a quick kiss before grabbing a combination of cheese and crackers from the plate that sat near the basket.

“Are you getting nervous yet?” she asked.

I thought about it for a few seconds, flicking through all the jumbled up thoughts in my mind until I came to a final answer, popping another piece of cheese into my mouth, shaking my head. “No.”

“Are you?” I asked.

Her head shook, looking down at the blanketed ground. “No. Well, at least I don’t think so. Maybe.”

I tilted my head, confused. What did she have to be nervous about? We planned everything accordingly. There should be no worries or nervousness from either of us. “Why?”

“Just—I am worried all the invitations didn’t get received, some people haven’t responded back yet.” She shrugged. This was a small thing to be worried about, but I understood why. This day was important for us, and she wanted everybody possible to be there as did I. Except my father, I didn’t want him there under any circumstances.

“Niall?”

“Yeah?”

“You love me right? Like you can’t stay mad at me forever, right? If we got in a fight right now, you’d come back?”

By now Tony was over playing by the river, tossing stones and trying to make them skip above the water. I was completely surprised by Mary’s question. It had come out of nowhere, and it was utterly ridiculous considering the things we’ve been through the past month together.

“What are you talking about? You know I would, baby.” I said, pausing to think about what she just asked me once more. “Why?”

Her shoulders went up in a shrug, quick to change the subject. “It’s beautiful out today.” She smiled, shifting on the blanket to rest her head on my knee. I hesitated before putting my hand in her hair, trailing my fingers through the brown strands.

“Just like you, doll.” I smiled. My eyes adverted behind me as soon as I heard Tony’s footsteps rapidly approaching Mary and I on the blanket.

“Niall! Can we get a duck?”

“A duck?” I chuckled, raising my eye brows at the out of breath ten year old standing before me.

He nodded, pointing towards the river, “There’s ducks stuck in the river.” He sighed, pulling at my free hand.

“Tony let go.” I laughed, “I’m sure the ducks will get out and fly south for the cold weather that’s coming.” I shook my head, watching him run back down towards the river bank.

“The kid wants a pet.” Mary chimed in, “Maybe we should-“

“No, no absolutely not Mary. I know what you are going to say, you think we should get Tony a pet and that’s not happening.”

“He needs some kind of companion to play with!”

“He’s got Aubrey, they are together almost every night. He does not need a pet.” I firmly stated. Despite how serious I was right now, there was a smile plastered across my lips. I think it was because of the thought of being married to the girl in my lap this time next week. Or maybe it was just the feeling of her near me that had me so happy at this moment in time. Either way, this smile was her fault. 

_______________________

The next chapter will be much longer! BECAUSE the next chapter, Chapter 45 is the final. THE BIG FINALE. THE CHAPTER EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR YET DREADING. THE WEDDING CHAPTER. THE BIG DAY. 

But don't be sad, the sequal has been set up, and I already know how I am starting it! So go like it! It's called "Dolly" I will obviously tell you more about it after this is over. I can't give anything away. (: 

xx -A