00. Prologue

“Dale, let go, I want to go home!” My voice wasn’t exactly quiet anymore. By now it was shouting in mere frustration that he just would not take me home. He was drinking with his buddies again and I absolutely hated that.

            “Come on Mary-” his grip tightened to the point that it was uncomfortable. With every move I made to try and free my wrist his grip only tightened. Bruises were sure to be wrapped around my wrist in the morning.

            “You think you can actually get away from me? In case you forgot, I am your ride home baby.”

            “She told you to let her go.” My gaze shot over to the figure at the end of the ally way. A few other guys stood beside the source of the deep voice that sent shivers down my spine.

            “What are you going to do?” Dale’s grip loosened and his body shifted to face the group of men at the end of the ally now. I thought about making a run for it. But I knew Dale was much faster than me. I would not have made it out safely. Also a part of me wanted to see this guy, to see who was helping me on this side of town. By what I could see he was wearing a white t-shirt and probably a leather jacket with black pants to match. A Greaser.

            “Listen pretty boy. You can walk out of here or not make it home tonight.” Dale laughed at this guy’s threat, barely seeming phased by it.

            “That threat would mean more if I could see your face.” He huffed.

            Footsteps approached closer to Dale and me. I could tell he was starting to get nervous. The beads of sweat becoming more distinct as the features of this guy became visible. The slicked back blonde hair and his eyes being covered by a pair of dark wayfarer sunglasses mad3 his threat a little more intimidating.

            “I’m going to say it again. You can walk away and leave this girl alone or not even make it home.”

            For a moment I thought Dale wasn’t going to back down. His fists clenched along with his jaw. But by the sense of fear that flashed in his eyes I knew he was going to back down.

            “Well pretty boy. What’ll it be?”

            As I expected, Dale backed down. He stumbled over his own feet as he managed to run out of the ally way, leaving me here with this guy.  The man cleared his throat and let a smile break through. His buddies patted his back as a way to congratulate him. Probably because all it took was a simple threat and Dale was off running home. But knowing Dale he was going to retaliate. He’s not one to let someone belittle him like that for long. To my surprise he didn’t even try to throw punches this time around. When he’s drunk he becomes a bigger asshole than when he’s sober.

            “Better watch your back… He won’t settle for someone threatening him like that.” I squeaked, merely out of nervousness and still a little shaken up after Dale’s outburst.

            “Excuse me?”

            “I don’t mean to make it sound like a threat, it’s just—” his laugh cut me off, along with his friends. I don’t get what is so funny. This guy was on Dale’s bad side now and the ones who make it on that list usually don’t last long. I put my hands on my hips and tilted my head.

            “Now, what’s so funny?”

            “Well, Mary, is it? I appreciate your terrible attempt at a threat here but you don’t have to worry about me. I can handle that pretty boy.”

             I brought my eyebrows together in confusion at his words. I wasn’t worrying about him per say. He got closer while taking the sunglasses from his face. I stepped back from him as he smirked slightly. “Are you afraid of me?”

            I shook my head, “No.”

            Yes. Despite the fact that he just stopped Dale from doing anything to me, he still intimidated me. He smelt of cigarettes and cheap cologne. By the way that he was dressed I knew he had to be in some sort of street gang. Like most greasers around this town are. They rarely gained up on each other but instead gained up on the rich kids on the other side of town. It’s like a city rivalry.

            “Nobody needs to know about what happened tonight.” He pointed between his friends and me. I only shrugged out of confusion but his friends seemed to understand the reasons behind his words.

            “Nobody, you understand me?”

            “Pardon me. But why? You act like it’s a crime to help someone out once and a while.”

            He laughed at me. He made it seem like I was stupid because I didn’t seem to understand why no one could know that he helped someone out.

            “I’d be damned if I was caught caring for a girl. Let alone a rich girl. That’s almost like you dating a Greaser. It doesn’t happen. You shouldn’t even be around here.” He spoke.

            “Who do you think you are?”

            “Well darling, I’m Niall Horan.”

            As soon as his name left his lips I realized just why Dale backed down.

             “Come on guys, we’re done here.” He sounded, his sunglasses being pushed into his front pocket as he brushed past me.

            “Have fun getting home pretty thing.” He smirked while walking off towards the Diner across the street. I crossed my arms as my eyebrows furrowed together while I watched him disappear into the Diner.

            Trouble always seems to find me. But something was different about this time around. Something about him was different.

            Niall Horan.

The one everyone in town has heard of. The guy who always wore black skinny jeans, and a white t-shirt with the rolled up sleeves. His winkle pickers and a comb in his pocket that at a touch of a button turned into a knife. The jean jackets and sometimes even leather ones always hugging his broad shoulders. His hair was always slicked back in the duck tail style that his whole group seemed to sport. He was the guy that no one messed with and it’s even rumored that he has never been in love.