13. "You"

N I A L L

            I get it, I need to let my brother go places sometimes because if I don’t he won’t have any social interaction, and that’s supposed to help kids grow isn’t it? I huffed to myself, tossing my clothes over to the corner of the bedroom, that Harry has been letting me and brother crash in, and he takes the couch. 

“Niall?” I rolled my eyes, turning my body towards the wall as soon as I heard her voice. “You can’t be—mad because I made a simple suggestion.” She mutters, I can feel the bed dip as she sat on the edge. “I just thought—“

“I don’t need people telling me how to raise my brother. He’s fine.”

“He is obviously not fine, Niall. He wouldn’t have brought it up at the movies if he was okay with staying home all the time.”

I sighed, rolling over to look at her, the light coming through the window from the street lamp, illuminating her facial features.  “I know, okay? I get it, I just don’t know what I’d do if something happened to him, knowing that I would have been able to stop it.”

“Everything happens for a reason— your mom leaving that night, happened for a reason. All of it did.” She whispered, extending out her legs into the bed to lay down next to me. “Sometimes, I like to think that, when bad things happen, it brings something good.”

“What did dale bring you?” I let out with a laugh, because he was so obviously bad for her, and he’s just bad over all.

“You. I mean, probably you, I haven’t decided if you’re a good thing yet.” At first I thought she was kidding, but her tone of voice said otherwise. But that still didn’t stop my heart from beating any faster, and I’m glad it was dark in the room because otherwise she would see my face fuming pink.

“Me?” she took my hand, playing with my fingers as our conversation went on. I knew that if any of the boys happened to walk in right in the moment, I would be fucked, because we look like a proper couple.

“Yeah, I mean, granted compared to Dale anyone is a good thing—I guess.” So, I wasn’t a good thing really, but since Dale completely fucked over her vision of guys, anyone would be better than Dale, and Dale is the second to worst kind of person to even walk the planet. Next to the kinds of people like mine and Mary’s fathers.

“Oh.” I pulled my hand away, resting them on my chest as I stared up at the ceiling.

“What do you think your good thing is?” By the sound of her voice, I could tell that she was waiting for me to say her. Because she had said I was her good thing, and she wanted to be mine.

“I’d have to say Harry. Because I met him a few months after my mom died, and when I left home I was lucky enough that he is lending me his bedroom.” I couldn’t let her know that I was starting to have feelings for her, because then my buddies would soon find out and I wouldn’t hear the end of it. Besides, they already had the idea, and maybe when the truth comes out at some point it won’t be so much of a surprise to anyone. I’m eighteen after all, it was bound to happen that I start to like one girl who crossed my path, but I never would’ve thought it would be someone like Mary. But when you look at it, we are almost the same. Her father is just like mine, and she probably couldn’t care less about people at school other than her friends and even then sometimes they probably get on her nerves right? Or maybe I’m just a cold hearted person.

“Bad things, bring good things.” She let out, almost like she was reassuring herself and not me. “I have a question.” I could feel her looking in my direction, but I couldn’t bring myself to look at her, not after she was expecting me to say her.

“Anything.”

“I-I have to meet up with my mom in two days… I was wondering if you’d come. You don’t have to meet her, I just—I want—I don’t know if my dad will show up or something.” She hesitated, like it was a bad suggestion. “If you don’t want to, I totally understand.” She quickly added.

I cleared my throat, shrugging with my eyes still focused on the spot on the ceiling. “I don’t mind.” I said, “I wouldn’t want you or your mom getting hurt, so…” I trailed off, the room falling to silence which made the whole situation more awkward.

“You still mad at me?”

I let out a cold laugh, shaking my head, “You’re worried that I’m mad at you?” I paused for a second, deciding on what to say next without completely revealing my growing feelings for this girl lying beside me. “I wasn’t mad to begin with, more mad at myself than you.”

“That’s ridiculous. If you’re going to be mad at anyone, be mad at me. I was over stepping my boundaries.” She quickly states, making me completely confused.

“So, first you were worried that I was mad at you, and now you want me to be mad at you?” I chuckled, “Mary, you girls don’t make sense.”

She propped herself up on her elbows, looking over at me. “Us girls are confusing? You boys are confusing! With your I-have-to-be-tough-and-have-no-feelings attitude all the time.” She laughed, “And besides, I was worried that you were mad at me. I was simply wondering.”

I shook my head, laughing slightly until I found myself staring at her lips again. They looked particularly softer in this light than they did the day of the race. Trying my best no to inch my lips closer to hers, because three kisses in the course of two weeks would scream ‘I’m falling for you’ and that’s the last thing I want.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” a small smile made its way on her lips now, her eyes watching mine with every move I made.

“I stare off when I’m tired, that’s all.” I quickly made up, even though it wasn’t totally a lie. I was tired, and I could go to sleep right this minute.

“Don’t let me stop you, I can go.” She sat up, looking around the room before standing up, “I’ll see you in the morning.” I quickly grabbed her wrist lightly, shaking my head.

“There is room for two. And frankly, the bed is better than the floor or the couch.” I laughed nervously, watching a small grin appear on her face for a split moment, quickly disappearing before she slid back into the bed beside me. “Goodnight, Mary.”

“Goodnight, Niall.”

I always told myself that I wouldn’t get close to a girl, knowing how well that turned out for my father in the long run. Knowing that I’m in no way going to turn out like my father is something that I’d have to prove to myself, and maybe, just maybe Mary was helping me see that a little bit at a time. She was the good thing, but I was too scared to admit it. 

_________

Don't forget to vote, comment, and if you aren't already, follow! So you know when I update(: 

I dedicate the chapter to someone with a lovely comment. 

Just a filler chapter, again. But I hoped you liked it just as much as the others. It should start to legit, pick up soon. (: If you're smelling what I'm stepping in.

What do YOU think will happen? 

xx -A