22. Back Home

N I A L L

            I wasn’t ecstatic about getting up at the crack of dawn to go to Mary’s house.  Lucky for me the motel had an alarm clock in the rooms, which helped me out. I quickly pressed the button to end the annoying beeping that could potentially wake up Mary and Anthony at seven in the morning as well.  Although, I wasn’t sure if I should let Mary know I was heading out or not. I didn’t bother to slick back my hair, letting it sit across my forehead in its freshly washed state.  Something that I wasn’t used to, because it felt so light compared to when it’s got pounds of wax slicked through it to keep the duck tail style that I so much desired.

“You leavin already?” my hand barely wrapped around the door handle before I heard Mary’s voice.

I nodded, taking three quick strides towards the pull out couch and knelt on the mattress. “Yeah, but I’ll be in and out real quick. And I’ll be back before dinner. Alright?” her eyes were droopy, her lips curling into a tired smile. “Go back to sleep.” I gave a small smile before quickly kissing her lips and getting up off the bed.

“Be careful, okay?”

I looked back at her, flashing another smile, “You got it babe.” I winked.

I didn’t want to leave them there alone, being that it was a strange town and there were strange people. Not that I actually knew the people, they were strangers and to Mary and Tony, maybe they were a bit off putting, or made them feel unsafe. I went on a limb and asked the lady at the front desk to check in on them at least three times while I was gone for six hours. Three hours back to our home town, and three hours back. I’ll be exhausted by the time I get back to them. I don’t know where our money ended up going either. I had over seven hundred dollars when we left. Spending money on gas, and a few stops for food on the way there, that still left me with a little over five hundred dollars. It’s like all the money I had brought with us had just up and walked away. Course, I had to put money down for a week of staying at the motel, which left me with about four hundred. Then there was the carnival, which I guess is where most of it went because I insisted that I try and win Mary a stuffed bear, there went one hundred and fifty dollars of trying. Looking back now, I realize that it’s my fault most of our money was blown away. I’m such an idiot.

The three hour car ride was much longer now that I didn’t have Mary and Tony talking in the background, and Tony constantly asking if we were almost there. I let out a loud sigh, pressing buttons on the car radio. I smiled at the familiar song, the same song that I had sung to Mary a few days ago when she first started to stay with me at Harry’s. She was something, something really special and you wouldn’t know that unless you really took the time to get to know Mary. I wouldn’t say that I know her well enough yet however, we’ve been talkin’ for nearly three months. Time flies by when you are annoyed by someone the first month, slowly falling for her the second and then completely realizing that she means everything to you by the third month.

-

M A R Y

The room had been completely silent since Niall ventured back to the small town. That is until Anthony woke up and from that time he hasn’t stopped talking and it was already noon.

“Do you always talk this much Anthony?” I smiled, “Or do you just have a lot of stories this morning?”

He shrugged, staring at me as he shoved some more chips into his mouth that we got at the vending machine down the hall. Although, I wouldn’t call it a hallway since it was outside. “No, Niall doesn’t like when I talk so much. He usually tells me to be quiet.” A small chuckle escaped his mouth before he silenced it with another handful of what was left of his small bag of chips.