18. Dairy Queen

N I A L L

            It’s crazy how this place was bustling with people, luckily we didn’t have to go inside to order our things. Both Mary and Tony agreed that we go through the drive thru. I think Mary just wanted to get to the Motel so she could ignore me some more. It’s like she’s putting me out to be a bad person for wanting to keep her safe from her father, and Dale. Dale was a whole new story, even though we had a deal that if I won the race he would leave her alone, that still hasn’t stopped him from making eyes at her every chance he had, and I know he has spoken to her in school without me knowing. Reason number two that I wanted to get her out of that town. Course, I wanted to get Tony out of that town also, only being nine he’s been through a lot and could use a new start.

            “What do you guys want?” I looked between Mary and Tony in the backseat. Tony’s smile looked like it was going to break right off his face it was so big—And Mary’s arms were still loosely crossed over her chest. I rolled my eyes, looking back at Tony as I watched him looking at the various ice cream treats on the menu board.

            “Can I get a chocolate Ice cream cone, ni ni?” I nodded, looking at Mary who was still staring straight ahead.

            “You want something, Mary?”

            She shrugged, “Banana Split, I guess.” Her arms unfolded and rested in her lap, glancing over at me shyly. I gave her a quick smile before turning my head towards the window.

            “Okay, I’m ready.”

            “Go ahead, sir.”

            “I need a banana split, and two small chocolate cones.” I straightened out my leg to dig in my front pocket for a few bucks to pay for the ice cream treats I promised these too, and maybe some loose change.

            The guy at the drive thru window handed me Mary’s banana split, trying to keep his eyes on the girl beside me, and to be honest I didn’t very much like it. After all, she was mine and it made me a little jealous that other guys were checking out my girlfriend. Girlfriend? Is she even my girlfriend? I don’t think we completely established that with each other quiet yet. “Thank you.” I grumbled, taking the last cone from the guy, and drove off. I shook my head, taking the first lick from my cone.

            “Ni Ni,” she mocked Tony’s nickname for me, which sounded a bit cheesy coming from her lips, “How long till we are at the motel?”

            I gripped the steering wheel with my one free hand, shrugging as I focused on the road, and eating the cold creamy treat in my other hand. “We might have to stay in the car tonight, I’ve been to this next town quite a bit the past few years, and they don’t have a motel.” I sighed, “But I promise it will be perfectly safe.”

            “We can’t drive till we get to one?”

            I shook my head, glancing over at her, it caught me off guard when she was looking at me too but I couldn’t help but let out a small chuckle because she had chocolate on the corners her mouth, probably just like I imagine my brother would have.

            “You have chocolate,” I motioned at the corners of my mouth, showing her a small smile, “right here.”

            Her cheeks turned a subtle pink, looking away as she wiped her mouth with one of the many napkins the guy gave us at the window. “But anyway Mary, we can’t drive till we hit the next town, because who knows how long that would take and I don’t want to be tired when I’m driving with you two in the car.” I sighed, “You’ll just have to deal with sleeping in the car tonight princess, unless you much rather sleep in an ally with more of a chance of getting jumped.” I suggested.