3. "Princess"

M A R Y 

   Three o’clock. The time every high schooler looks forward too. The end of the school day, no more teachers, no more school bullies, at least not until tomorrow. Jocks pushing each other around, bumping students into their lockers on accident. Girls gossiping about other girls at their lockers, it’s common here. Everybody knows everything about everybody. If you ask me, it’s gets to be a bit annoying because you never know what is really true and what isn’t. Nobody likes to confront anybody with a rumor, because sometimes—that’s just social suicide.

“I saw you talking to Niall the other night..” Diana trailed off, not being very specific about which night she had seen me. Was it the night at the ice cream shop, or last night when he helped yet again with a confrontation with Dale?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Di.”

“At the ice cream shop. Don’t play dumb. What did he say?”

I shrugged, “Just asked me about school, that’s all.”

She tilted her head, crossing her arms in front of her chest. “Oh come on. Hard to believe if ya ask me. Come on—what did he talk about. I won’t tell anyone Mary.”

“Why do you want to know so badly? If he had been talking to Barbra you wouldn’t even question it.” I laughed, closing my locker before I turned on my heels and started to walk towards the exit with Diana not far behind me.

“Well, I just wanted to know if he told you about he killed someone a few years back.”

 I stopped dead in my tracks, pulling her over to the side of the school.  “He killed someone?” I repeated.

“You didn’t hear about it? You know that prisoner that escaped a few years ago? And how he disappeared after killing some chick who started a fight with him?”

I nodded, “Yeah?”

            “Well that girl was Niall’s mom. That guy killed her and it’s like, Niall was getting revenge. He killed the guy. Nobody found his body.” A strong sense of fear waved over me, when I thought I couldn’t fear him more than when I first met him. I was proved wrong by just a few words my friend had told me.

“That doesn’t seem right.” I stated. “Are you sure it was Niall?”

She nodded, “Yeah, Everyone is talking about it. I’m surprised you didn’t hear anything. The whole lunch room was talking about it.”

I shook my head shrugging, “I was mentally absent during lunch. Thinking about things.” I quickly stated, was I going to tell her that I was thinking about Niall? No way, was I going to be thinking about Niall the rest of the night? Of course.

“By the way, have you seen Dale? I haven’t seen him since the night you two broke up. He hasn’t been home.”

I furrowed my eyebrows in completely confusion, “I saw him just last night.”

“You? I thought you two were done, why were you with him?”

“I wasn’t intentionally looking for him, I was walking on the other side of town. Dale, he was- He confronted me, nothing big.” Okay—it was big, but she doesn’t need to know every detail, she doesn’t need to know that I was looking for Niall, and she certainly doesn’t need to know that Dale was drinking again, and had Niall not confronted him again I probably wouldn’t be here.