16. Mother

M A R Y

            My leg bounced up and down under the table of the booth that Niall and I had decided to occupy, waiting for my mom to show up with hopefully good news. Hopefully I could go home. Not that I don’t enjoy staying with Niall. Course, it’s been like a roller coaster. First it’s going up, then it just falls apart till it’s put back together again and we go right back up just to come right back down. But, I guess him being a little different around his friends isn’t the worst thing he could do, keeping our relationship a little secret from his know it all friends was a little fun I have to admit. Granted, we’ve only hidden it so far as last night, it was still kind of exciting. I felt his hand rest on my knee, stopping it from bouncing up and down any longer.

            “Will you chill out?” he chuckled, putting his arm on the back off the booth once more, being too calm about the whole thing. He was right, what if my dad does show up, or what if my mom doesn’t show up. I might be stuck staying with Niall forever. What if Niall and I don’t last very long? I can’t stay with my friends because ‘course my dad would look there, even if he had already, that wouldn’t stop him from doing it again.

            “I’m sorry. I’m just worried, what if you’re right? What if my dad shows up, or what if my mom doesn’t?”

            He shifted in his seat, coughing into his hand before putting it behind me on the back of the booth like it was a few seconds ago. “Princess, you’re looking too much into it. I shouldn’t have said that to begin with. Of course your mom will show up. And if your asshole father does show up then—” his hands balled into fists, as niall shifted in his seat again, “Then he will have to go through me to get to either of you.” He stated seriously. No sense of joking even being hinted.

            “Niall—”

            “Why don’t you order something to eat while we wait? I’ll go up to the front counter and order for you, all while keeping an eye on you of course.” He smiled, pushing a few strands of hair from my face before kissing the apple of my cheek and scooting out of the booth. I tapped my fingers anxiously on the table top. Looking at the door every time it opened. Not even being able to recognize my own mother when she walked through the door. Her hair was cut, she had red lipstick on and black leather pants with a jacket to match. And an old, cut off white t-shirt, and red heals. I furrowed my eye brows, watching her as she sat across from me in the booth. I glanced over at Niall, his eyes widened and all I could do was shrug.

            “Mom, what are you wearing?”

            “Your dad can’t find me if I look completely different. You know—it’s not too bad.” She smiled, fluffing up her hair. “Who have you been staying with? Can you stay with them a bit longer?”

            I shrugged, “We can’t go home yet?”

            Her head shook, slightly frowning. “Do you really want to baby girl? That place is bad, now you’re almost 18 and can live on your own.” She started, “You’ll be able to get a job, move out of town. Some where your father wouldn’t even think of looking.”

            “So—we are never going home—and you’re telling me to go live on my own?”

            She nodded, taking a shake from the passing waitress. “I’m not saying we won’t really see each other, because I’ve found a nice place to stay a few towns away, and your father won’t find me either. I’ll give you the address and we can write each other.” I frowned, glancing over at Niall as he watched our table intently, a plate of food sitting in front of him which I’m assuming is the one he had ordered for me.