5. Never Again

M A  R  Y

It’s like, cliché to go to these things right? To go a dance as a single girl, and have this guy come up to you and confess his undying love for you then proceed to dance the night away until you are just too tired to even stand so he takes you home in the car his parents bought him. No matter how unlikely that seems, I wish so bad that it would happen to me right now. My friends had somehow conned me into coming to this dumb corny dance at school, and in all honesty, I much rather be at home watching movies. At least then I could be wearing pajamas and be curled up in bed.

“Didn’t expect to see you here.” The voice sent shivers down my spine, and I can’t believe Dale had the nerves to actually come up to talk to me. “Relax. I’m going to choose my timing perfectly. I’m not going to do anything, your boyfriend is watching.” He smirked, pointing at Niall on the other side of the room. I rolled my eyes, grabbing another handful of pretzels.

“He’s not my boyfriend.” I grumbled, rolling my eyes in hopes that he would get the hint that I’m not amused with his presence, and didn’t feel the least bit threatened by his words.

“Oh come on, he defends your ass every chance he gets.” He laughed, slapping my arm before walking off towards the dance floor, grabbing some random girl and started to dance with her. I don’t know what I was thinking when I decided to say yes to dating him, but I’m sure glad I broke up with him when I did or I would be that girl on the dance floor who so obviously doesn’t want to be dancing with him either.

“You gonna dance Mary?” my gaze shot over towards Diana, soon shaking my head giving her a smile.

“No, I’m good right here.”

Her eyes rolled before she followed my gaze over to Niall. I gnawed at my bottom lip, hoping that she wasn’t reading my mind. I needed to talk to him, I needed to find out if he actually killed the guy that killed his mom. I needed to find out of that sick rumor was true and if it was, I knew I had to make things clear that I didn’t need his help. I wasn’t his to keep protecting. Besides as far as my knowledge goes, he has never protected or even cared for a girl in his life. So I’ve heard. So why me?

“Just be careful.”

“What? Yeah.” I nodded, shrugging, “I just want to know if he actually killed that guy.” I paused, crossing my arms. “Go- Go have fun with the other girls I’ll be out there after I talk to him.” I assured. I cleared my throat, putting my plastic cup that was still half full of punch on the table. Walking through the middle of dance floor probably wasn’t the best idea. My body being pushed around, I could see Niall and all his friends with smug looks on their faces, holding back laughter. All of a sudden I got a knot in my stomach, and my heart felt like it was going to burst right out of my chest. I paused in front him, almost like a deer in the headlights. At least that what I imagined I looked like right now.

“I-I have to go in the hall.” I pointed towards the door, my feet not working as fast as I would like them too. I can confront him no problem when he isn’t around his friends, maybe because he caves and actually talks with me when he is alone. Rather than sticking with his bad boy mojo when he is around his friends. Crazy, really. I leaned against the wall, my hands buried in my hands and I could feel my legs shaking lightly. I don’t understand how he could make me this nervous when I have already talked to him multiple times before.

“Mary?” My eyes connected with the blonde boy, his hands shoved in his pockets just like any other time we talked.

“Did you kill that guy?”