12. Peter Pan

M A R Y

            We were sitting on the floor in the living room, legs crossed like you would see kindergarteners do when its story time, all gathered around their teacher patiently anticipating what story she would read today. “Wait now, that’s not fair! You can’t just assume that because I’m from the rich part of town that I don’t like to get down and dirty.” I laughed, his eye brow going up in question, “I-I mean like with car oil, or-or running around in the mud I didn’t mean it like-“

His lips curled into a smile, a laugh following shortly after, “I know what you meant princess, I was giving you a hard time. You should learn how to take banter!”

I shook my head, looking down at the fresh batch of cookies I had coned him into making this afternoon. “You think we should hide these? Keep them for ourselves?” I smirked. “Or should we give some to your brother after the movie?  Maybe we could go out for ice cream instead!”

His hands went to stop me from talking, “Don’t get ahead yourself, remember Mary, I’m not a rich kid.” He laughed, “I can’t do everything you suggest.” He explained, picking apart a cookie before putting small pieces into his mouth.

“You don’t have to pay for everything. Let me pay tonight, I was the one who suggested a movie anyway.” I shrugged, “It’s not a big deal, it’s not like we’re dating.” I laughed, “Like that’ll ever happen.” I looked around the room for any sign of a clock, “What time does your brother get home anyway? The movie starts in two hours.”

“He is walking to the diner, we were going to grab dinner there after school but since you think we should see a movie, there won’t be time for stopping for dinner beforehand.” He got up to his feet, wiping his hands off on his jeans before holding it out for me to take, helping me stand up myself. “Unless we go to the movie playing at six instead of four.” He suggested, my shoulders shrugging.

“That might be even better, because then we can go get ice cream.” I smiled.

-

Anthony was more than ecstatic to go see a movie tonight with his, ‘favorite big brother’.  Their relationship was cute, almost like ones that you’d see a movie. The big brother always looking out for the little one, and the little one looking up to the big one with everything that he does.

“You know Mary—Niall doesn’t take me anywhere.” I looked over at the boy sat between Niall and me in the semi-dark movie theater, waiting for the movie to finally start.

“And why’s that? Do you embarrass him?” I laughed, trying to keep quiet as much as I could, but still making sure that the two boys could hear me.

His head shook, a small smile on his face, “He says that the things he does is only for grown up boys.” I looked over at Niall who was now glaring at his little brother, “But really, he just goes to the diner to mess around with his friends. And I’m stuck at home.”

“Sounds to me that Niall should take you with him sometime.” I smiled, looking over Niall giving a small wink in his direction.

“You know Tony, you shouldn’t be telling Mary stories. You know I pick up shifts once and while there. To make money so you can eat.” The mood seemed to drop at the sudden change of serious subject. “Can we just watch the movie please?”