38. Day Out

N I A L L

            Mary and I would still be asleep right now if Tony hadn’t come running into our room so excited this morning. From jumping on our bed, and tugging at my arm—it was hard to just lay there. I groaned when I finally sat up in bed, starring back at Tony who sat cross legged in front of me.

            “When are we leavin?”

            I rubbed my eyes, probably looking completely confused. “What are you talking about?”

            He frowned, “You said we were goin’ to the beach today.” He reminded me.

            Mary shifted in her place, taking in a quick breath, “That’s right, we did tell him we would take him swimming.” She tiredly blurted. “We will go after lunch, Tony.”  He sighed, sliding down the side of the bed and slowly shuffled out of the room. I looked back at Mary, laughing quietly before falling back into the bed.

            “I completely forgot we were takin him swimming.”

            She shrugged, laying beside me as she traced her fingers over my bare chest. “That’s okay,” she grinned, “That means you forgot about me wearing a swim suit today.”

            “Oh that’s right, you just bought that new black and white polka dotted one.” I smirked, tracing my fingertips up and down her arm.

            “Maybe this time we won’t get in a fight.”

            I nodded, guilt rushing through me from remembering the reason we had a small fight in the first place. I kept calling her princess even though she asked me countless number of times to stop. Although I completely found the fight to be stupid, she had a right to get upset.  Even if I didn’t completely understand why. “I hope not.” I sighed, pulling her closer to my body, and kissed the top of her head softly.

            “You know,” I paused, “We need a night.” I sighed, “We need to just go out, have fun. You know like the night we just drank beer, and ate pizza. Or when we went swimming and just forgot about everything.” I smiled.

            “You mean like a date night?” her voice was giddy, and I could tell that she had a smile on her lips without actually looking at her face.

            “Like a date night.” I nodded, “I could get Tony to go to Aubrey’s, which I am sure he won’t mind.” I chuckled, “And then we could just roam around town, doing whatever our hearts desire.”

            “You mean to say we could have ice cream for dinner, and then have it for dessert too?”

            “If that’s what you want.” I laughed, “Anything. We can do anything we want to do.”

            I heard her sigh, before sitting up in bed. Leaving the warmth that was under the covers. “We should probably get out of bed.” She giggled, looking at the clock on the bedside table. “It’s already eleven thirty.”

            “I guess sitting up and talking all night wasn’t the best idea, huh?” She shook her head as she stood up, stretching as soon as her feet hit the carpet.

            “What are we having for lunch?”

            I shrugged, pulling on a tee shirt and walked down the hall to the bathroom. “Sandwiches?” I suggested, looking at her every move. From the moment she left the bedroom door, till she was leaning against the door frame of the bathroom, watching me as I brushed my teeth.